Lap timing

Nic Surry

Hopefully have car ready soon for some track days,do any of the organisers offer timing facilities ie rent a sensor to record your times?

Every single track day I have ever done, bike or car, the briefing stated no timing allowed - they go to great lengths to point out that it invalidates their insurance.

Might not be the same at the track days others have done though?

All trackdays I have done have all been NON competitive strictly no timing, all to do with insurance 

Timing not allowed on trackdays. Depending on the operator, they may look at your car to check that any lap timing devices are switched off or may take the memory cards out. 

what ive seen some people do is use harrys lap timer on there phone and im sure this gives them the ability to overlay data giving them a lap time. even though timing is not permitted on any of the trackdays ive been on

Bedford have done timed laps in the past, 1/2hr practice and a few runs per car.  Was a half day event but not sure if they do it anymore.

Seems they still do How fast

• Like 1

I've been doing trackdays on and off for 25 years, early on I used to time with a handheld stopwatch on my lap! At that time we were still told not to but everyone seemed much more relaxed about it, I enjoyed seeing if I could improve my times as the day went on while still remembering it's just a trackday not a race!

These days I definitely wouldn't time, the penalty is immediate exclusion from the day and given that it's not a cheap day out plus the day off work it's not worth the risk.

Of course if you are in car videoing you can check your times later and I did recently see an instructor (not one employed by the TDO) telling people he was timing his pupil using something on his phone!

10 hours ago, SootySport said:

Bedford have done timed laps in the past, 1/2hr practice and a few runs per car.  Was a half day event but not sure if they do it anymore.

Seems they still do How fast

Good point Bernie, I've done one of these and it was really good fun. Not cheap though!

9 hours ago, BCF said:

Good point Bernie, I've done one of these and it was really good fun. Not cheap though!

£99 for one hours open pitlane practice, followed by an out lap, two timed laps and an in lap. Not too bad if I'm reading it correctly? (Especially if you compare it to a sprint)

I had a pal that did one years ago when they first started, but I think they've switched circuits.. I think he did his on the "Top gear" track wherever that is.. 

I hear what you're saying Andrew, guess I'm just comparing to a trackday. The one I did was at Bedford on the shorter west circuit, I did two 15 min sessions in the hour slot (which are untimed) and then my one timed session which as you say is an out lap, a timed lap (can't remember if it was one or two) and an in lap. Started at 9am, on my way home by 11am. A trackday on the GT circuit at the same time of year (October) is about £150, so makes the how fast event against a trackday quite expensive in comparison, in my opinion.

Against a sprint at say Rockingham, where you have four timed laps but don't have the open session, which costs around £125 but lasts all day, I'd say the value for money was better at a sprint, plus you get launch and sector times, a class of fellow competitors with similar cars to chat with and compare to and the chance of a trophy!  Just my opinion of course, each to their own!

NOTE I am NOT comparing track days to sprints here, just the MSV how fast event!!