Gurston Down attendance

Terry Everall

I think the drop in O/A competitors is more to do with the MSA onslaught on our wallets with new rules/reg rather than the number of events or anything that the SSOT have changed.

I thinks that's true for the drop in numbers. 

Once again I see only Terry suggesting that venues should be dropped.

This is exactly what happened with Wiscombe and Barbon as the calendar was put together for 2018.

I argued very strongly that the SSOT do not have a mandate to stop members enjoying any of the venues that they want and decide to attend!I

I was over ruled in favour of needing to support the magic Speed Series camaraderie at so called popular events!

As a result I was asked to leave the SSOT because I argued my views and those of other respected SS members too strongly!

So we should not just roll over and take it, keep on voicing your preferences and hopefully the SSOT thinking will change?

I personally  selected Hethel over Gurston because of location and being a new event this year!

As always the organisers and my friends at Borough 19 made me feel very welcome?

Weather was very good and we had a good day with not many off's.

Graham

Graham.....Your proposal that we had limitless events in our calendar was deemed to be impractical and would not benefit the the competitors. You were in a minority of 1 and hence your proposal was not accepted. We do need to determine the correct number of events to support which is why I started this thread. We need to hear the ideas of the majority as well as the few. 

• Like 1

I have attended both Gurston and Wiscombe events for the past four years and would have been there again this year if they were part of our calendar and my car ready. I've worked hard to improve my times at these events, thoroughly enjoy them and intend to continue to compete at both.

Terry, IMO you and the SSOT need to look very carefully at the direction the SS is going in, we are gradually turning into a Northern Sprint Series. Speed Series numbers are down in general, as Howard mentioned 22 SS competitors at Gurston 8 years ago and I doubt 22 SS competitors will complete a championship scoring 10 rounds this year, despite holding 12 rounds at the ever popular Anglesey and Blyton venues, therefore dropping events your paying entrants want to attend even if in small numbers at times is not the solution. 

In these changing times, to survive the SSOT needs to be innovative, look at new ways to be more inclusive, encourage novices and try as best as possible to provide events in all areas of the country, maybe GF's suggestion was not so way out after all !!!!!

So can I come back next year and enjoy these events or do I have to look at other championships ? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marto303 said:

dropping events your paying entrants want to attend even if in small numbers at times is not the solution. 

In these changing times, to survive the SSOT needs to be innovative, look at new ways to be more inclusive, encourage novices and try as best as possible to provide events in all areas of the country,

Yep!!

Perhaps thinking outside box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terry everall said:

Many competitors are saying that they want events where there is a good attendance of fellow SS drivers across a range of classes.

I would agree it is great to have events like blyton where Almost everyone attends but unless we moved to say a best 10 out of 12 like BHC I can't see this happening and even then you would probably end up with a higher percentage of a smaller number of entrants. 

I guess you could pick 4 events next year say harewood blyton loton and Hethel and give them double points to see if it gets your focus and numbers up.

Personally it would seem to me better to drop events we go to more than once before dropping a venue if a desire to cut down rounds. 

I can think of 6 people that entered Gurston  repeatedly that are not even competing this year which suggests less a venue specific issue. 

David

As an overview, nationwide, MSA Sprinting is losing numbers significantly, a variety of reasons and the advent of Javelin in recent years has taken away potential newcomers to some extent. Although they do have a lot of Scoobies & Evo's, hot hatches type of car's that have not been as popular in sprinting, so maybe tapping into a new market. 

By comparison, Hillclimbing is relatively stable and remains popular, particularly the main UK hill's like Loton, Shelsley, Harewood etc. 

A lot of championships have seen a drop off in numbers, with the notable exception of HSA, I am sure there are others, but in the main most have/are going down.

Yes, I agree with Nick  about the HSA

The HSA has a very varied calendar

Lots of Hills, inc Prescott ( loads of Westys went there when we went with Longton), Werrington, Wiscombe and many more

Also sprints like Lydden, Llandow.

But not lots of repeat visits to a handful of venues

You could do enough rounds for a full season without having to go north of Brum!

As for Javelin - shame they are not over my side of the country

I notice that people are suggesting dropping multiple visits to venues to reduce the number of events. I completely disagree, as in reality, would dropping a Blyton or Anglesey etc boost numbers at Gurston and the likes? Answer = No! Events like that always attract high numbers of attendees and would upset the majority if dropped rather than appease the minority.

In reality we do have too many events in having 30+ . Those who have sufficient funds could enter more events and improve their chances of success, akin to buying success and would hinder those on a lesser budget.

Dropping events that have regular low attendees and those that occur on the same weekend as other more popular events on the calendar elsewhere would be my vote.

If people want to do more events then the events still exist but they don't have to be rounds of the SS

A member of the SSOT posted to suggest a venue is removed on the basis of one events' attendance. The members of the club and competitors of the speed series replied to say don't remove it. Pretty clear to me.

Shame the same process wasn't followed for Wiscombe. 

A separate debate on number of events, number of repeated events etc would be welcome. Several voices have suggested 12 events at two venues isn't encouraging attendance.  Would be good to hear the SSOT listen to this and respond considerately.

I completely agree that having more SS competitors at an event does make for good paddock banter and a fun day, but it would never be my primary consideration for entering. I love our event at Blyton, but don't expect it on every outing. My priorities are location, accessibility and availability in my diary. Based on that, having more events at more locations spread evenly across the country would encourage me to enter more.

50 minutes ago, BCF said:

My priorities are location, accessibility and availability in my diary. Based on that, having more events at more locations spread evenly across the country would encourage me to enter more.

I was not going to get involved too much in this.

Events in the south just don't exits aside Lydden (rarely runs these days), Goodwood (noise issues), Gurston (low SS numbers) and Wiscombe (low SS numbers). Everything else is well spread across the country. Just as Javelin events are - Anglesey, Croft, Kendrew, Snetterton, Blyton etc - not much in the south.

Are you suggesting that you want so many events just so you have a better chance of finding something on a weekend that you are free? The last time I checked, Milton Keynes was fairly central so don't see the lack of events in the south being an issue for anyone other than those that actually live in the south

From some of the comments above there seems to be an inference that the SSOT are Northern biased in there choice of venue, and that Mr Everall wants to cull events.

I'm not an active SS competitor and don't know all the members of the SSOT, but if there is genuine concern about a "Northern" bias then can I suggest that "Southern" members put themselves forward to join the SSOT, in the interest of balance.

As for Mr E being the harbinger of doom, I suspect it more a question of him appearing to be the most vocal SSOT member on here.......

Nice to see debate on this subject and some interesting suggestions... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Aspden said:

From some of the comments above there seems to be an inference that the SSOT are Northern biased in there choice of venue, and that Mr Everall wants to cull events.

I'm not an active SS competitor and don't know all the members of the SSOT, but if there is genuine concern about a "Northern" bias then can I suggest that "Southern" members put themselves forward to join the SSOT, in the interest of balance.

As for Mr E being the harbinger of doom, I suspect it more a question of him appearing to be the most vocal SSOT member on here.......

Nice to see debate on this subject and some interesting suggestions... 

I was on the SSOT Paul but found the work load too much for me with running the workshop, family etc etc. 

I’d be interested to hear Paul Morcom’s pov on dropping Gurston as he’s been a regular entrant there and is an SSOT member ! 

far as i'm concerned . dropping the south events is not going to get me up north more. 

i tried getting in goodwood this weekend but it was sold out . so even with noise issues its still a popular event 

there's plenty of clubs that still use these venues so that's where it looks like i will be going next year .

• Like 3

North / South venue debate has been going on since first year of the Speed Series ......... sadly there is very little anyone can do about it.

Attendance figures were always lower for southern based events, (even in the heady days of 100+ drivers) sometimes it is not possible to provide a definitive answer, that's life ............ is low attendance good reason to remove them from the calendar ?............. for some yes, for others no ............. it takes more than looking at spread sheets to make an informed decision (IMHO) ................ it needs consultation with as many as possible, as to why drivers attend and why they don't, sometimes when its their nearest circuit.

If any event is removed does this necessarily mean forever or just for a year or two ........ ? For any organiser to make a decision they should also have knowledge and have driven at each event they have to make a decision on ................. Good Luck everyone, be safe - Remember that the success of the WSCC Speed Series as a whole is more important than any one individual

• Like 6