Reasons/criteria for Q registration

Eastwood

Sorry, I’ve no doubt this has been covered in threads before !

I thought it was quite straightforward (Q assigned due to more than one component being ‘used’ or donor) but I’ve now received conflicting advice about the reasons behind a Q being assigned to a kit car.

Would be grateful if one of you knowledgeable bods could provide the headlines or provide a link to a guide, etc.

Thanks in advance :yes:

If you are referring to a new build kit car then it is this:

All new parts or all new with ONE major component refurbed to “as new” - new reg

Two or more major components from donor with proof of donor - age related to donor. 

Otherwise - Q

The major componennts we use are: engine; gearbox & diff (drivetrain); axles (inc hubs & uprights).

So a Q means more than one major used component from different sources or with no proof of donor. 

And also it's nothing to worry about 

Pro's

no emission rules. well kinda of....is it smoking? Is the test?.... so you can run cat less for more powers!

Cons 

You can't have a private plate

Insurers we use are not bothered by it at all

I deliberately went for a Q. 

IVA with pre 95 engine, so made my planned engine swap easier - no cat to worry about despite new engine, no emissions to check, less boxes to tick at MOT, no swapping or fudging maps etc. 

As well as the easier emission rules at MOT time, there's the novelty value ( Qdos!) of having a Q plate and no one will know how old your Westfield is either