Half Hoods & Fasteners

Nick Marsh

Proud new parent (& member) of SEiW with SBD 2.0 XE

This car has no hood and an MSA bar:

I want a half hood, looking at Soft Bits and the Westfield site, the prices are similar, allowing for screen bar and bag so I would appreciate any thoughts re quality, ease of fitting etc to help me decide which one to buy.

Secondly, the car has no fastenings around the back of the tub / boot rim, although I can see template marks around the rim for a dozen or so fasteners. Please can someone advise which type of fasteners I should buy to connect the straps of the half hood and a boot cover? I have seen Tenax but would appreciate a steer on this.

Thanks & regards,

Nick

Bar_001.jpg

Bar_002.jpg

I have a soft bits half hood and it's very good imo. Each hood is purpose made in that they need the roll bar to windscreen measurement which ensures a snug fit. 

There will be some who say drilling the roll bar will compromise its integrity. I disagree and have drilled my RAC bar for the high level brake light, the side straps and the end straps. So much neater than having them flapping about and fixed to the bodywork. Just praying I never need the bar in any seriousness anytime soon! 

Agree on drilling the backstays on the bar for the strap fastners, rather than the bodywork. Fitted a halfhood on 3 Westies I've owned that way, with good results and it's easy to get the right tension in the hood. 

Matt

Thanks Chaps, 

I'm reluctant to drill the bar as I want to compete in sprints / hill climbs and have heard that some scrutineers will pull me up on this.

I'll talk to Soft Bits re the half hood.

Regards, 

Nick

I have recently fitted an MSA roll bar and also have a half hood.

I didn't want to drill my roll bar so I used a couple of jubilee clips, drilled through with a rivnut inserted. Not as neat as drilling the roll bar but a reasonable solution I think.

If you are interested I can try and get a photo for you.

Steve 

Thanks for your reply Steve, as I'm not sure what a rivnut is (a cross between a riven and a nut?) if you could mange a photo that would be great...Nick

A Rivnut, requires specific tool to fit20180419_191000.thumb.jpg.67e29916292f8a6dee6d563187545708.jpg

The 'nipple' thing held on by nut behind that I attach my half hood straps to...

20180419_190833.thumb.jpg.857e242d73ef3c33ed57a7c151a54b3e.jpg

On 19/04/2018 at 17:41, Niks said:

Thanks for your reply Steve, as I'm not sure what a rivnut is (a cross between a riven and a nut?) if you could mange a photo that would be great...Nick

Nick please see a photo of how I have attached my half hood without drilling the bars.

IMG_0606.JPG