Will This Polish Out?

Oliver1

I removed my Westfield big sticker on the rear of my car and as expected, there is a fair bit of rubbing from where the spare wheel has been ( see photo). I don’t really want another big sticker but how successful do you think I could be in polishing this out or at least making it a fair bit better?

E9CBDCC5-30D4-441F-9BF3-1A1EE68E61AC.jpeg

You could always fit the number plate over it. That's what I did.

Matt

31 minutes ago, Matta said:

You could always fit the number plate over it. That's what I did.

Matt

It’s not going to cover much of it I’m afraid Matt. :(

Is it gelcoat or paint?

Scratches can be polished out of gel. Start with a compound and move on to finer compounds and finish with a polish. If the scratches are deep you might need to use fine wet or dry paper first. But don't go too far with the paper, the gelcoat might not be very thick. 

41 minutes ago, Oliver1 said:

It’s not going to cover much of it I’m afraid Matt. :(

Sorry, I was looking at the photo on my crappy phone and didn't notice how much there was. As Robin says, assuming it's gelcoat, very fine wet and dry, then cutting compound and polish will get a lot of it out.

10 hours ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

Is it gelcoat or paint?

Scratches can be polished out of gel. Start with a compound and move on to finer compounds and finish with a polish. If the scratches are deep you might need to use fine wet or dry paper first. But don't go too far with the paper, the gelcoat might not be very thick. 

It is gel coat. I will get some compound and give it a go this weekend. Thanks for your advice Robin.

9 hours ago, Matta said:

Sorry, I was looking at the photo on my crappy phone and didn't notice how much there was. As Robin says, assuming it's gelcoat, very fine wet and dry, then cutting compound and polish will get a lot of it out.

No problem Matt. You mean the holes. Fortunately not many of those. Cover 2 with the number plate as you say and the other 2 with well placed stickers :yes: