Kit Car Electronics

HiSpec mechanical handbrake adjustment

How good can the HiSpec handbrake get? I've spent ages adjusting, it seems to work perfectly, but at best it just holds the car on a gentle slope, no more.

It seems as if I just need more mechanical advantage- I'm using the original Sierra handbrake lever. Do any of the newer levers have a shorter pull that could help? Or do I just need to man up??

The pull with a Ka handbrake lever isn’t bad. (Better than the S2000 handbrake), I had to use two hands on the brake test at MoT yesterday, and even then, it wasn’t great. 

That said, although my cables did need adjusting to take out three years of stretch, I’m actually contemplating slackening it ever so slightly. At the moment, it’s at maximum bite at three/four “clicks”, which is where I was always told to set too by my Dad and various others. But I suspect if I allowed just a little more slack, so that it’s not pulling on virtually straight away, it might pull on a bit harder. (It’s easier to pull on with a bit more movement and momentum in the lever).

Mind you, up on the garages four post lift, we did also notice that my rear disks aren’t showing much sign of wear either. So I am pondering trying to get a little bit more rear bias.

Back on topic, my handbrake is adjusted at both the calliper end and the handbrake lever; for others with these brakes that aren’t aware, (ie not Mike!), if you don’t adjust the handbrake end, the two little handbrake pads don’t pull evenly on to the disc.

Oh damn.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t looked at similar! But fortunately they were all US based, so never pursued it, I really didn’t need to find out there’s an English supplier. :o

:d

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Hmm, maybe an Electric puller is the way to go... Clear some space on the tunnel.

A new button for the freewheel Mike? 

• Like 3

perfect for my DRS system upgrade 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hill starts would be interesting with just a on/off set up?

Would be nice to lose the handbrake lever though:sun:

Mike my hispec handbrake was always useless that' why I took it off. Last December took rear calipers off and took back to hispec for them to do a upgrade,I put handbrake lever back on for MOT and they are brilliant,even the MOT man asked what I had done to make such a difference. Handbrake lever is now removed again and nice flat carbon on tunnel top on.

8 hours ago, DE04* said:

Mike my hispec handbrake was always useless that' why I took it off. Last December took rear calipers off and took back to hispec for them to do a upgrade,I put handbrake lever back on for MOT and they are brilliant,even the MOT man asked what I had done to make such a difference. Handbrake lever is now removed again and nice flat carbon on tunnel top on.

Do you know what Hi Spec did to improve them and what was the price?

25 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Do you know what Hi Spec did to improve them and what was the price?

I'll see if I can get a photo comparison of Dean Vs mine today