Children seats in a Westfield

NickBW

Hi all

As i am still hunting for a Westfield but my son has become interested in cars and going for drives.  He is 3 years old now and when i find the right Westfield, i would love to go on blats with him.  It would be good to know if others have got a Westfield with 4 point harnesses and a child seat.  What child seat would work?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

I've got a 2 year old and was wondering when I'd eventually be able to take him out safely. After a bit of reading it seemed to me like you can't put a child safely in one of these with harnesses really until they are big enough for a booster style seat and can be harnessed in properly. Given the new regulation changes this year that means when they are over 125cm (about 4ft) which is around the 7 year old mark, but you would want to be 100% sure they are going to be held in tightly and correctly (high enough for the shoulders to fit properly, etc...).

Both me and my lad are short so I think it'll be even longer till I'm happy he'll be okay unfortunately but I'm sure he'll love it when the time comes. :) 

There may be other options of course.

Andy

I love my car and I don't have any children but....I'd never put a kid seat in the car and use it on the open road. There is zero side impact protection and the seat would do no good at all even in the most minor tap from another car.

I know these cars aren't designed to be Volvo safe and I'm fine with that for myself or another consenting adult....but putting a child in the car would be a step too fa for me personally.

Just my 2 cents.

dave

It all depends on seats, but both my kids (aged 7&9) have only been round the block. I wouldn’t take them out until they are a lot bigger especially with my seats, you just can’t get a booster in & the harness just won’t go tight enough!

Thought about my lad when he was very young, but it was more about noise and hearing than will the seat go in. So sold it and bought a TVR  ( Total Vehicle Rubbish)

Only went round the block slowly when my boy was smaller couldn’t get a bolster/seat inside it

one I’ve got now currently has inertia reel belts that’s a child’s car seat would go in but they are coming out

2040269E-8188-40D3-85E6-90DACE5BB082.jpeg

Good evening,

i do agree with the safety aspect of putting a small child in a westfield. It doesn’t matter how careful you drive, we can’t predict what other drivers are doing on the road.

Having said all that I did take my 4 year old out in it last year to some local car meets a few times and used this booster seat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Booster-Group-Black/dp/B0092MB0O2/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523478616&sr=8-1&keywords=Blow+up+child+car+seat

I considered this, the following solution may not fully comply with the relevant laws :d

Screenshot_20180412-071238.jpg

• Haha 2

Both my girls have ridden extensively in my Westie since they were 7 and 9. I've got Sports turbo seats with 2inch 4 point harnesses. I use a booster seat base fitted backwards and the harnesses then fit fine. I've given their friends quick rides out too as long as I've had their parents permission. I agree the crash protection is less, however they've got none when walking on the pavement!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, the stoat said:

I considered this, the following solution may not fully comply with the relevant laws :d

Screenshot_20180412-071238.jpg

That must be one fast car if you need that much bog roll driving it.

• Like 1

Here's a few pics of how I fit my booster seat. Note the harnesses aren't used as shown ! I keep them fastened tightly to minimise rattle when not carrying a passenger.

IMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8732.JPG

I use a booster seat that is made from polystyrene so that I could shape it a little so that it fitted properly. I also cross over the harness at the top behind the seat as otherwise their shoulders are too narrow and would pop out from the belts. The seats don't have harness cut outs, old style single center post fitting for the head rests.

wont be legal, but would be the safest way:

Make a foam insert shaped to them (ish, allow a bit for them to grow) to fit to your current seats, and use Impact foam to raise the insert from the bottom. Then they are going to sit tightly no matter what against the harness (imho it should be 5/6 point to hold all in position).

The worst bit of that is to keep the kid in position for a few minutes wile the foam cures.

also the foam insert will give them quite a lot of added safety against bumps, vibrations and in the event of an small crash.

I don't have any children yet, work in progress... but is how my friends take out the small kids out to the track back in spain in some child focused events  (it may sound crazy for you, but yes, it does happens and kids love it).

3 hours ago, maurici said:

I don't have any children yet, work in progress... 

Keep your trousers on and save a fortune :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 5 months later...

Guys I picked up a ‘Bubble Bum’ today in Halfords which seems like a really neat solution for taking the kids out...

It’s inflatable so easy to pack away in a   boot box or behind a seat and has clips to stop it sliding forward.

Not the cheapest but it works well :yes:

6F9370F4-84A3-4811-A8DC-F63E84320F24.jpeg