RIP Jim Clark

pistonbroke

50 years ago today the announcement that Jim Clark was dead rocked the world of motor racing .

Arguably the finest driver the world has ever known lost his life in a minor formula 2 race , a horrific and still unexplained crash at the Hockenheimring .

RIP Jimmy . 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43557567

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43571837

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many of us at the time (when drivers were dying every year in F1) thought he was so good that he was invincible. Sadly even someone with his extraordinary talent wasn't.

I agree with all the above, I went to the Jim Clark Room at Duns in the Westy about two years ago. Very interesting with lots of trophies, photos and other momentos. The wee chappie on reception said they going to extend the museum to include some of his cars which are now privately owned, dont know if its happened yet might have another run up there this year.

https://www.liveborders.org.uk/jim_clark_room(1).aspx

Refurbishment

Works to redevelop and expand the Jim Clark Room in Duns will start this summer.

The existing museum will be open until the end of May this year, including over the weekend of 7 and 8 April, when a programme of events has been prepared to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the tragic death of the double Formula One World Champion. The museum will close on 31 May, with the new museum expected to open in late spring next year.  Watch this space for news and updates.

Andy Middlehurst , Nissan Dealers of St Helens owns the ex Clark Lotus 25 and the BRM H16 powered Lotus 43 

The cars are often on display in his showrooms :t-up:

Went to Duns and Chirnside yesterday for the Memorial events. The church service was particularly poignant as it was the same Order of Service as his funeral, as well as a touching speech by his cousin, Doug Niven and readings by other family members.

There were cars on display by Classic Team Lotus and Club Lotus, outside the Jim Clark Room in Duns. The Lotus 25, as driven by Clark, and latterly by Andy Middlehurst was also present. The car is owned by a wealthy Australian, who entrusts it to Andy to drive in classic F1 events, and is maintained by Classic Team Lotus. Andy's own car, the ex-Jim Clark Lotus 43 BRM H16 engined car was also there. Andy doesn't race this car, and only does demonstration laps, as the engine parts are impossible to source now, and it so valuable. Andy and I go back a long way, having been friends for many years since our time in Formula Ford (I was also his co-driver in the 1984 Lombard RAC Rally).

The day was very moving, and a memorable tribute to the great man, Jim Clark - arguably, the greatest race driver there has ever been. As Doug Niven said in the service, Jim always wondered what all the fuss was about whenever he was acclaimed for his achievements. He was a very modest man. It's a testament to his memory that a £1.67M extension to the already popular Jim Clark Room is now to be built, 50 years after his tragic death. The existing memorabilia in the current room will be carefully dismantled and placed in storage at the end of May, prior to building works commencing in June. 

A great day, and a great tribute to a great man.

• Like 1

The story of his Lotus 43 rebuild is legend , apparently Andy bought the the car from the USA where it had been converted to F5000 spec . It was short of te BRM  H16  engine

A H16 was found in Australia / or new Zealand ? ( not sure of the source ) but after paying a small fortune for it he was shocked to find when it arrived , it was just an ex display model minus all the essential  internals .

Another fortune was payed out to have crank shafts, cams, gears, 16 pistons, con rods, bearings and etc etc. manufactured .

He must have lost more pounds in sweat when they first fired it up .

I was at Oulton Park on the day in 1966 when the BRM transporter arrived in the paddock and they rolled out  2 x H16 BRM's  for there first race ,

Clark.s was entered in the Lotus 43 BRM but it broke in practice so he drove his Climax engined 33 in the race .

Also watched his efforts that day driving the Lotus Cortina , outbraking Jack Brabham's  Ford Galaxy ?  on the grass,  in a great cloud of dust into Old hall corner to go on and win the race .

Unforgetable day :t-up:

• Like 1

I saw Sir Gwain Baillie (sp) and others driving those monstrous Galaxies at Crystal Palace in about 1965. My Good Lady tells me that Jim Clark was there too but I'm ashamed to say that I forget. She and I had only been going out for a few weeks and I had other fish to fry...  :oops:

• Haha 1