zetec breather problem

SouthhamsChris

I have just got my car on the road and have quickly got an oil leak. The oil appears to be blowing up out of the dip stick and then running down the side of the bellhousing.

Behind the manifold there is a blanking plate where I am told a stock breather would normally be. Also to the left of this there is a spigot on the block blanked off with a rubber pipe and a bolt in the end.

I am guessing I have too much pressure building up in the block.

What's the easiest way to fix?

Any help much appreciated

Chris

P_20180129_201604.jpg

What do you currently have the breathers connected to?

Not sure about the black top, but the silver top have one on the exhaust side of the engine block and another on the cam cover. Feed these to a catch tank and then vent that to a pipe leading under the car and you should be OK.

If that's not working it suggests that the system is too restrictive (has it got any filters or PCV valves in the way?) or the engine might be breathing heavily for some reason.

I can’t see where your dip stick is going in the picture. The correct location for a black top Zetec dip stick is where the pipe is blanked off with a bolt and rubber hose.

The only option for your engine to breathe is through the rocker cover breather, wear does this go at the moment?

32 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I can’t see where your dip stick is going in the picture. The correct location for a black top Zetec dip stick is where the pipe is blanked off with a bolt and rubber hose.

The only option for your engine to breathe is through the rocker cover breather, wear does this go at the moment?

Hi , the breather pipe from the rocker goes to a catch tank, but at the moment no other breather. I see you have the same engine as me, would you have any photos of your engine bay pipework? if yours is running ok, then mine should as well if I set up the same, thanks for reply chris

Yes here is my engine bay. I have the crankcase breather attached and this goes to the standard inlet manifold. Dipstick where yours is blanked, my cam over breather attaches to the intake plenum. DD1317A7-F2CF-4A1A-882D-F16619CDA02D.thumb.jpeg.04c7fe867ca4a6ef6f7012c3b4f68245.jpeg43DC2D09-EB7D-4143-880F-2DFD32379085.thumb.jpeg.fd577de5c3a97054f35646331dff5516.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Yes here is my engine bay. I have the crankcase breather attached and this goes to the standard inlet manifold. Dipstick where yours is blanked, my cam over breather attaches to the intake plenum. DD1317A7-F2CF-4A1A-882D-F16619CDA02D.thumb.jpeg.04c7fe867ca4a6ef6f7012c3b4f68245.jpeg43DC2D09-EB7D-4143-880F-2DFD32379085.thumb.jpeg.fd577de5c3a97054f35646331dff5516.jpeg

Hi Kernow, many thanks for your photos. Since you messaged me l have looked online and as you say everyone  has their dip stick by the exhaust. As you have a block breather and logic would suggest a block breather was a good idea, I have ordered a block breather fitting so I can run it back to the catch tank. Hopefully that will sort things out. I think Martin Rice is your AO, I am not that far from you guys so perhaps will catch up in the summer, cheers Chris

That sounds like a good idea. Make sure your catch tank has a breather also then you should be sorted. 

Where abouts are you? There are quite a few of us around the Cornwall/Devon border that are arranging trips out soon so I will keep you informed and post it on the trips out page. John

Where does your dipstick enter the engine?

Is the relocation something you have done?

Could well be running it with too much oil in the engine if the dipstick relocation is not giving the same reading as it was in the standard position