Is a Hand Brake required for class’s D & F ?

Marto303

So the Silver Bullet’s conversion from live axle to IRS is coming on well and while I’m looking at options for rear brake calipers I’m a little confused as to the need for a hand brake. 

I will only ever enter class D, F or H in the future, as D & F are now “ Road Based “ S 12 regulations and  will be running in mod prod on the day, I assume I DO NOT need a hand brake ?

Could someone please clarify this. 

Tia Martin 

Terry 

I have a vehicle passport, front and rear number plates and a full set of lights, why do I need  a hand / parking brake ? It doesn’t state that in the clarification of technical spec, it quite clearly say an MOT or vehicle passport ! 

This hotline should give the OP the right of reply !!!! 

Martin

The car must be capable of passing an MOT.....needs a handbrake

Thanks for moving Chris !

Terry I could refit hand brake and obtain MOT anytime, Just like I could refit "E" marked tyres. I'm confused ??????????

Is this a " spirit of the class " type thing ?

Martin

i asked the same about my reverse in F and was told that I needed as in a wscc road going class even if in mod prod on the day 

• Like 1

The Regs state "road based cars must run in a condition such that they would comply with MSA reg S11 for Road Going cars" As far as I know this would mean being capable of passing an MOT which means a handbrake must be present on the car

I take your point Terry, but I"m in Mod Prod and regs are S12 

My ZZR's are not seen as "Road Legal" by the MSA  so I have a vehicle passport instead of an MOT,  so are we running to MSA regs or WSCC regs ???

Martin

For class G or H you do not need a handbrake but for our other classes such as C,D,E,F where you can use list 1A,1B OR 1C TYRES you need the handbrake ( we refer to S12 rather than S11 as it does permit cars to run in our road based classes even though if using list 1C tyres they will need to be in mod prods on the day at the event. The car needs to be in a condition that it would pass an MOT. To save some people money we have agreed that the can get a vehicle passport and avoid paying for tax ,mot and insurance if the car is not used on public roads

Hope that helps

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terry everall said:

Martin

For class G or H you do not need a handbrake but for our other classes such as C,D,E,F where you can use list 1A,1B OR 1C TYRES you need the handbrake ( we refer to S12 rather than S11 as it does permit cars to run in our road based classes even though if using list 1C tyres they will need to be in mod prods on the day at the event. The car needs to be in a condition that it would pass an MOT. To save some people money we have agreed that the can get a vehicle passport and avoid paying for tax ,mot and insurance if the car is not used on public roads

Hope that helps

Ok Thanks Terry

I guess the confusion for me is that we have an entry in class E running a car that has never been road registered, therefore can never be legally driven on the road (DVLA  registration I would have thought compulsory for a “road based “ car ) though I accept it can be MOT’d on the chassis number. 

That lead me to think we were running to MSA regs for S12 Mod Prod. 

Could we update the Clarification of Tech Spec for road going / road based car to reflect these points.

Martin