Sourcing bits for SE/Narrow chassis cars

Andy Malone - Editor

Hi,

I'm eagerly awaiting collection of my 1995 SE (not long now!) and have been doing a bit of reading/research/planning in things I want to do on the car.

One of the things I definitely want to think about is a half hood, boot cover and possibly some half doors or deflectors depending on how much the buffeting bothers me. My initial search took me towards SoftBits but their standard product range seems to be for the wide body only. I've sent them an enquiry about catering for the SE/narrow chassis, but I have struck a bit of a blank finding any alternative suppliers. Can anyone point me towards anyone else?

One thing I also wondered was if the SE had any common sisters out there dimension wise for things like hoods, maybe Caterham or even Tiger, GBS, etc... ? Does anyone know if something is a potential like-for-like for these older shaped Westfields? Or will I be likely looking at custom bits?

Also beyond the soft bits, are there any decent place to source other potential bits I may need for the narrow (bodywork, interior, chassis bits, etc...) other than from potentially Westfield themselves or secondhand?

Thanks,
Andy

Soft bits are poor on communication but excellent on everything else. They will do whatever you want I'm sure... 

Have you tried ringing soft bits? I know when my dad was getting a half hood from them he had no joy via emails but when he rang they sorted everything straight away

Hi Andy,

I have been looking at the same, as I bought an SE Narrow a few weeks ago.

PlaysKool have narrow specific parts, Aerodynamix I understand have the ability to make Narrow parts.

I have got bogged down in making my car actually usable (alternator, battery and carbs) but my plan is to have a look at other Narrow cars at Stoneleigh to refine my shopping list.

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oliver1 said:

my plan is to have a look at other Narrow cars at Stoneleigh to refine my shopping list.

Steve

I'll be at Stoneleigh, you're more than welcome to look at mine. 

• Like 2

@chriss1455 Just email for now as I'm not in a position to measure/order anything until I have the car. Once I've got it and worked out exactly what I want I'll definitely give them a call if I haven't heard back. Thanks!

@Oliver1 Literally just had a look at both the Playskool and Aerodynamix sites about 5 mins ago, good shout :) I have similar plans re: Stoneleigh shopping lists

@Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO I may take you up on that as well if you don't mind.

Soft Bits are a small family business, I sometimes suspect that they may have successfully mastered the telegram, are nearly there with the phone and I'm not entirely sure what they think email is!

On the other hand, they absolutely know what they're doing with trim, and talking to them by telephone generally gets everything sorted out. They do get increasingly busy though as we get into the season, so lead times and telephone answering times do start to stretch out. It's worth it, but in the worst case scenarios, can be a wait.

The other thing they're excellent at, is tailoring existing products specifically to you/your car, from tweaks on dimensions, to whole extra bits.

• Like 1

Andy

I got my Narrow in June last year and yes really hard to find parts, my seats where from Ebay, they are ok but not as nice as Westfields seats but again narrows had flat small seats. My car was very basic looking but with the help of this community I'm getting to where I wanted it to be. Good luck it's great fun :d

If I can help with anything let me know 

• Like 1

If you ever need body work just go to Westfield the prices are not that bad. I have been told the SE is the same as the imperial Caterham but the only thing I have from a Caterham on my other car are the seats and they fit well.

• Like 1

Have a look at Lesley Storr website,she make stuff similar to softbits, I got my boot cover there and she also does half doors as well as other stuff. Made my cover from a paper pattern which she sent in the post. 

• Like 1

Are the SE and SEi essentially the same body wise? Trying to ascertain if a tonneau from an SEi would potentially fit?

Great, thanks Dave.