Toyo R1R - which size?

NigelO

sorted - four ordered at £280 delivered - thanks for all the help :)

3 hours ago, NigelO said:

Not sure how old the tyres are - pretty sure they are more than three years old, possibly even older (the car has only done 89 miles since October 2015 and only 3200 since October 2013)

Geometry was set up properly by ProComp in 2011, but is probably overdue a tweak. There's a couple of settings that are making me scratch my head - caster is 2.25 degrees on the left and only 0.75 degrees

Check the 4 digit manufacture code on the sidewall to see how old they are :)

Is castor adjustable?

Pretty sure only camber and toe are adjustable?

No castor isn't adjustable on normal Westfield suspension. Though a few companies, including Westfield themselves, years ago, have made race wishbones with rose joints, where it was.

Thats a massive left right castor difference and not right, I'd have said. Because of the lack of adjustability, there's usually some difference, but that's crazy.

• Like 1

Doh, just had a thought, where did this castor measurements come from?

Its normal to set a Westfields suspension geometry up with simulated drivers weight on board, so if you measure without, you can get some weird and very unbalanced results, especially if there's been some settlement and drift over the years.

Having just had a look at the geo sheets for my two Westfields, the front castor has generally been high 5 degrees to just over 6 degrees and within about 0.3 degrees each side.

I've left a message with ProComp today - no reply yet

The lack of caster would account for the "lively" feeling - I generally prefer quite a strong self-centring effect, so I'll be looking into ways of getting a higher figure

FWIW, I understand the car was corner-weighted with a 75kg driver on board, but that couldn't account for the lack of caster on the driver's side

As said, 195 tyres are fine. R1rs are not generally available in the U.K. Due to their non Green credentials.   Have a look on EBay and the German retailer  Oponeo, you'll find them somewhere.

On 4/4/2018 at 19:53, NigelO said:

I've left a message with ProComp today - no reply yet

The lack of caster would account for the "lively" feeling - I generally prefer quite a strong self-centring effect, so I'll be looking into ways of getting a higher figure

FWIW, I understand the car was corner-weighted with a 75kg driver on board, but that couldn't account for the lack of caster on the driver's side

Matt at procomp has been very unwell and has only just got back to work and is prioritising his race car commitmemts at present. So believe he's not taking any more customers on until he's caught up so may be a while before you hear back.

2 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Matt at procomp has been very unwell and has only just got back to work and is prioritising his race car commitmemts at present. So believe he's not taking any more customers on until he's caught up so may be a while before you hear back.

OK - thank for the update - I'm definitely not an urgent case, so I'll hang on for now

UPDATE - turns out the T1-Rs currently fitted aren't six years old - they're NINE years old....

R1-Rs will be fitted very soon

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NigelO said:

UPDATE - turns out the T1-Rs currently fitted aren't six years old - they're NINE years old....

R1-Rs will be fitted very soon

No wonder they are slippy!!!! :ph34r:

5 hours ago, BugMan said:

Yikes, had no idea they had been around that long?

I've been using T1-R on my Fiat Coupe for 15 years - they were fine while the car was close to standard, but they are overwhelmed now and hopelessly outclassed by newer design tyres. I image they will be replaced by Yokohama AD08R

I use AD08s on my Westfield and have been happy with them.:yes: