Club benefits

tex

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

@tex not sure mine will be, but I do need a pre track day shakedown run before Tuesday 10th!

Check out langbargh track, they have evening track sessions much much cheaper, like £40ish a go.. 

19 minutes ago, tex said:

Check out langbargh track, they have evening track sessions much much cheaper, like £40ish a go.. 

Yeah it’s on my to-do list :yes:

I’ve just renewed. I’ll don’t really see £27.50 as a huge expense for what I/we receive. 

Due to work commitments I too can often struggle to get to midweek club meets and have yet to track or race but supporting the club and an annual weekend at stoneliegh make up for it. 

I’m a ham fisted machanic too so knowing I can get help when I mess it up is reassuring. 

As the Ex AO of the Bristol and Bath group I echo the comments from others where you go to a lot of trouble and then are let down. No one has taken over since I had to let go due to various reasons and there are loads of cars around the area.

It is never ideal for everyone and for those in far flung corners, Cornwall and Scotland they do have less opportunities to participate than others do.

I joined in 2001 and the same arguments over the speed series was going then, but these guy's do put in a lot which has raised the club profile immensely. Is it value for money? Well to my mind yes and not just for the car stuff. I am no computer wiz so when stuck there is help there from members who may have benefitted from my mechanical skill and advice as an example. To me the access to the forum is worth the fee alone.

Other value added things are discounts, the magazine, again limited by input from members to be honest and access to the factory sometimes at a level individuals might not have.

Finally forums are different to Facebook groups and some like the later. With forums you need rules and the committee has to set and enforce what has been agreed by members. Many ex members did not like having controls in place so when the likes of Facebook came along it suited them better.

Above all remember this is a hobby, you cannot measure everything in monetary terms (my wife can apparently) and in the scheme of owning a Westfield as part of a hobby the fee is a very small part overall.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

Above all remember this is a hobby, you cannot measure everything in monetary terms (my wife can apparently) and in the scheme of owning a Westfield as part of a hobby the fee is a very small part overall.

Loving that :d

As someone still building his car, I haven't had any chance to attend the trackdays and meets, though I certainly intend to in the future. Ditto Stoneleigh. However, the sheer amount of help I've had from this forum has justified the cost of the club on it's own in my view.

• Like 1

Can't believe no-one has suggested you become an AO yourself @tex?  One of the perks is a free membership ;) 

I suppose you get out of the club what you put in, but I'm fortunate to have quite a lot of local members although we do seem to have a core. We were only talking last night at the meeting about getting more members to attend, but if people don't want to come how can you make them?  There are owners who live close to me who I have never met or even seen their cars around. I've tried creating an email list, but found I was not getting answers from the majority, some people just don't want to be involved with the club for whatever reason, although Terry obviously does.  Middlesbrough to Leeds is quite a way to come for a run, but you're more than welcome to join us any time. 

I went to my first meeting before I bought my car and felt like the new kid at school, but I knew I was going to get involved with the club, just didn't think I'd get this involved, still not quite sure how I became an AO but there you go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

I suppose you get out of the club what you put in, but I'm fortunate to have quite a lot of local members although we do seem to have a core. We were only talking last night at the meeting about getting more members to attend, but if people don't want to come how can you make them?  There are owners who live close to me who I have never met or even seen their cars around. I've tried creating an email list, but found I was not getting answers from the majority, some people just don't want to be involved with the club for whatever reason, although Terry obviously does.  Middlesbrough to Leeds is quite a way to come for a run, but you're more than welcome to join us any time. 

I went to my first meeting before I bought my car and felt like the new kid at school, but I knew I was going to get involved with the club, just didn't think I'd get this involved, still not quite sure how I became an AO but there you go. 

I do! 

19 hours ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

, still not quite sure how I became an AO but there you go. 

Actually I do know, and I blame Martin, @Rory's Dad

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

... I blame Martin, @Rory's Dad

This happens a lot... :suspect:

22 hours ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

We are all just very thankful you are as AO Robin, certainly helped me make my mine up to start my WF journey.