HANS STICKERS - MSA

Terry Everall

11 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Assuming the scrutinisers are able to identify a fake that should be dealt with more seriously than not giving it a sticker !! 

I actually smell MSA bulls*** ! Im not convinced that there are fake HANS devices out there TBH. If you think about it I doubt the market is big enough to make it worth anyones while to bother faking them in the first place !!

32 minutes ago, mark.anson said:

I actually smell MSA bulls*** ! Im not convinced that there are fake HANS devices out there TBH. If you think about it I doubt the market is big enough to make it worth anyones while to bother faking them in the first place !!

Agreed. With seats as I understand it there were fake stickers in circulation that some people may have been tempted to buy and put on their existing seats.   If you need a Hans you are probably  buying new anyway. 

I can only find a single mention of a fake HANS and that was America in 2007 

As an aside the manufactures already have to pay the fia for the stickers they fit (seat labels are £10) and there is quite a paper / record keeping process required in addition to the original product approval 

For £2.50 I cant be bothered arguing:rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, terry everall said:

For £2.50 I cant be bothered arguing:rolleyes:

That's a first for a Yorkshireman Terry :)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

It still doesn't make sense to me / feels like a crude measure.  I can see it saves time with helmets as the manufacturer stickers are often inside the helmet and can take some reaching and there is a risk of dropping when checking.  With Hans they are in a pretty obvious place and easy to check.

Assuming the scrutinisers are able to identify a fake that should be dealt with more seriously than not giving it a sticker !! 

Difficult one David, that's the route that has been chosen by the MSA ultimately up to them. I just tried to help by giving some of the reasoning that was forcing something to be done.

As to dealing with fakes, that's a real problem as it's the competitors property,

Nick as you say not a big issue but a little frustrating that MSA bring in these types of controls without clearly articulated reasoning or apparently clear logic.  It might be minor / low cost in this instance but the poor thinking can equally apply to more fundamental issues.  On uphill racers there is talk of future rules possibly coming in for batteries, fire extinguishers etc. etc.  

As we saw with ROPS they are with the right intentions but not necessarily well implemented and in aggregate can negatively impact competitor numbers.

• Like 2

How will the sticker be applied to the Simpson restraint worn on the back? Can't easily view the back when seated on the start line and if I recall correctly, the only other visible areas are restarint straps.

there not put i visible position anyway 

It's a big like the blue helmet sticker.  It's there to show its approved but they still check the date inside anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

At Gurston I was there with my £2.50. They said they were noting everyone who needed one and would come back after scrutineering. Never saw them again.

One of the guys in my group who already had a sticker found his had fallen off while getting ready. Thankfully it was still in the bag but it's a heads-up to make sure it's properly adhered. If it goes missing out on track you'll no doubt have to repeat the process and the £2.50.

• Like 1

someone i know they had it  fitted  in wrong position and looked like it was going to come off . i was asked for some super glue to see if we could restick edge down  . as the scrut did not want to fit another one and lose £2.50 . plus when they come off they leave void notice like helmet stickers.

I was told that it is so the sticker can be removed if the HANS becomes damaged much like the sticker on a helmet s therefore it can no longer be used as removing the sticker invalidates it

I am sure there all sorts of valid reasons why HANs should have a sticker but if the scrutineers don't have any, it makes it a bit

difficult comply.

I did a rally right at the end of 2017.  The scrutineer did not have any FHR stickers but inspected my device, made a note on his checksheet and let me run.  I have since had a sticker applied by a local scrutineer.

I have spent a lot of money over the past 40 years updating helmets - some of them hardly used at all because I am an infrequent rallyist / sprinter.  I daresay the FHRs will be lifed, too in the future.  However, I have always made money available to buy good equipment - never the most expensive / lightest because I haven't ever had that kind of budget.  I have lost friends in accidents due to head injuries and been at events (pre FHR) where such devices would have possibly saved people.  The MSA fight hard to keep motor sport insurable in the light of such fatal / serious accidents possibly creating precedents and rendering motor sport statistically too much of a risk.  If this year's cost to me is a £2.50 sticker, I am happy to forego a couple of small bottles of Coca Cola to make the scrutineers' life easier and maintain standards.  No insurance = no sport.

As an MSA licensed Clerk of the Course, I may need, one day, to be in the box at a Coroner's Court and I want to be able to rely on the scrutineers to have been able to have fully checked and to report back that all the PPE was in order. 

Simon

• Like 1