Two questions if I may?

b16gnr

after getting my exhaust welded and back on I took my car for a run, when I stopped the radiator fan kicked in(I had only gone 5 miles and the temp gauge was showing 40) the fan would then not turn off and the car would not start, I pulled the fuse to stop it but when I put the fuse back in it blew but the engine started and I drove home, any ideas???

question 2 what quick release do people use for the nose cone? And do they screw directly into the thread that are already there.

thanks

wayne

check wires to fan sensors including at water stat housing if its an XE red top. Missing wire makes fan run all time

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Dzus slide catches are quite popular for the top nose cone fixings.

I've just fitted these

Screenshot_2018-04-01-22-14-13-652.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, Dzus slide catches for the top, with care, you can use M6 bolts to fix the locking pins, so yes, you can reuse the existing Rivnuts. For the lower nose cone fastening, I use a knurled M8 thumbscrew that can be done up or released by hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNURLED-THUMB-SCREWS-STAINLESS-STEEL-HAND-GRIP-KNOB-BOLTS-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10/182019943325?hash=item2a613beb9d:m:mmElfAFO54S6hgBIxLYhhTA

And here’s one of the slide catches in place.

6C87F606-0809-4B9E-A834-B9F9B4409481.jpeg

Thanks chaps, Dave how have you attached the slide part to the nose cone?

12 minutes ago, b16gnr said:

Thanks chaps, Dave how have you attached the slide part to the nose cone?

My money is on pop rivets :yes:

12 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

My money is on pop rivets :yes:

Exactly! Small size peel rivets. 

On 01/04/2018 at 22:51, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yep, Dzus slide catches for the top, with care, you can use M6 bolts to fix the locking pins, so yes, you can reuse the existing Rivnuts. For the lower nose cone fastening, I use a knurled M8 thumbscrew that can be done up or released by hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNURLED-THUMB-SCREWS-STAINLESS-STEEL-HAND-GRIP-KNOB-BOLTS-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10/182019943325?hash=item2a613beb9d:m:mmElfAFO54S6hgBIxLYhhTA

And here’s one of the slide catches in place.

6C87F606-0809-4B9E-A834-B9F9B4409481.jpeg

Dave before I start drilling holes in things, another stupid question please? How do I attach the round bit that comes up through the nose cone and slider to the chassis?

10772E27-210A-4FB6-B9E7-0350C9C7FFFE.jpeg

It's a 5mm hole, you have to carefully drill it out to 6mm. You can then use a short M6 cap screw.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

It's a 5mm hole, you have to carefully drill it out to 6mm. You can then use a short M6 cap screw.

Exactly, not you’ll probably need to pack up the fixings with washers underneath so that it sits correctly for the slider, I seem to remember my near side needed one more washer than the off side - just down to the varying thickness of the nose cones lay up.

The latches should clip into place easily and smoothly, if they need too much force, chances are the fixing bobbin is a little too low. (If it’s too high, it just lifts the nose a tiny bit.