Buying 2005 SEIW zetec - some questions

Eastwood

Hi all,

I’ve found a 2005 SEIW 1800 Zetec. 5 owners, 7,300 miles. Have been told it’s a Speedsport (?), factory built, but not yet seen any paperwork to confirm. It’s on Jenvey throttle bodies with OMEX management. Not long ago I was lead to believe that this engine and management spec was not a factory build back in 2005, suggesting the car had been subject to modification/engine swap etc........does this sound right, or is it likely to be factory built ?  Is there a quick and easy way to check with Westfield whether it was built at the factory, i.e. if I have VIN no. ?

The thermostat housing has been replaced (currently a black plastic housing) and a small length of additional pipe added to make a ‘T’ piece and the temp sensor now sits at the end of this additional bit of pipe rather than in the top of the housing (which I understand is the usual arrangement).  I was told that because the housing sits so close to the bulkhead of the car on a zetec it’s not uncommon for the original housing to take a knock as a result of engine movement and crack as a result. Is this a known issue, or does the position of the thermostat housing suggest some mods or an engine installation that’s not quite right ?

Bodywork and interior are in great condition.......all seems original and it certainly doesn’t look abused, etc, so I’m very interested, but the issues above concern me.

Many thanks in advance for any advice :yes:

I wouldn’t get too hung up on everything being “factory built”. No disrespect to the factory, but there’s a more than few cars on here that are as good if not better than any the factory built (in my opinion your honour!). More important is lots of info, history, build receipts and photos - and a good look by someone who knows, like another local member.

Many factory cars would have had the single throttle body, so a very common upgrade is to swap to individual throttle bodies like Jenvey or Omex. That’s usually a bonus, not a concern.

Thermostat not really anything to worry too much about, as it is quite common as you mentioned, but a photo of the current one might help.

Best idea is get one of us lot along, shout up and I’m sure someone will offer.

As far as I know, most, if not all the Speedsport special editions had Jenvey throttle bodies, some of the earlier ones came with Dunnel tuned cylinder heads too, though the later ones were more standard Zetecs.

The earlier ones had MBE ecu’s, sorry I don’t know about the latter ones. You have to remember with a low volume kit car manufacturer, there aren’t so many absolutes. And nor do they buy parts in in big batches. It’s entirely possible a small handful or even just a single Omex ecu could have been bought in at that time. Though I think it was a few years more before Omex became the regular ecu supplier. But IIRC, they did chop and change quite a bit in the mid 2000’s, moving from MBE, to KMS, Webcon and eventually Omex.

Just to elaborate on my comment about Factory built cars. 

I was just pointing out that it’s possible  to improve on a factory build by virtue of the sheer time that some builders put into their own build going above and beyond “factory” spec -  time that would be uneconomical for a commercial project .

Of course some builders don’t meet that spec, hence why a Factory build is a popular and sensible choice if you are new to the kit car world. 

However, also bear in mind that many of our cars get modified and upgraded over time. 

So my advice is always to take a knowledgable person along to view if at all possible. 

Sound advice from Dave and chris. 

I would suggest seeing more than one you then get a feel for the build quality of each one. Also its surprising how one drives compared to another. 

Post a link someone might know it 

Make sure you get deep pockets sewn in your trousers as you'll forever buying bits for it regardless how sorted it is. 

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

i was a little concerned about the thermostat housing issue and thought this may be a sign that the car had been modified........and perhaps the install wasn’t done very well.  But it sounds like this is a fairly common issue on zetec cars ?

what are the key things in terms of spec that differentiate a Speedsport from other models........have done some reading but not found much.

Thanks again.

The thermostat is quite close to the bulkhead. If the engine has soft engine mounts it can move about a little. If the thermostat housing is a late model it’s also a bit bigger and more brittle than earlier models. 

So it is not a sign of a bad build or poor modification, just a combination of choices. 

My first Zetec Westfield cracked the thermostat housing on my first trip out.  It is a very known and very real issue on Zetecs.  If the car is local in Northants, do you want someone to help you view it?

• Like 1

ok, reassuring in some way that it's a well-known issue.  is there a fix........has a new housing been produced that is more compact and minimises the chance of contact against the bulkhead ?

yep, great idea to get someone with all the knowledge to tag along, but sadly the car isn't local.

Where is the car? There may be someone in that area that could have a look with you.

Regards the thermostat housing, Raceline to a modified housing along the side of the cylinder head I will take some photos of mine once I'm home and upload them for you :t-up:

My memory is a bit hazy on it now, but if I recall correctly the early Speedsport, one of Westfields occasional Special Edition cars, came with a Dunnel tuned engine, (might be mainly head and possibly cams?), throttle bodies and front and rear anti roll bars. There may have been a few other extras, but I think that was the bulk of it. The last of the Speedsports lost the Dunnel engine, or at least didn’t have the ported and polished head, but did keep with the ITB’s, ARB’s etc.

There were also some limited edition Carbon Speed Sports, which naturally enough came with a load of carbon fibre goodies and IIRC, a numbered dash plaque.

4 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

Regards the thermostat housing, Raceline to a modified housing along the side of the cylinder head I will take some photos of mine once I'm home and upload them for you :t-up:

Fantastic.......that would be great.......cheers:yes: 

On 3/27/2018 at 14:28, Jim G said:

Where is the car? There may be someone in that area that could have a look with you.

It’s a well known trader in Leicestershire. Minded to go for it as it seemed a good car in its raw state before going thru their workshop and I know they prep their cars well. Main issue for me is that there is virtually no paperwork, other than something to do with its first free service at Westfield, which I’m told suggests it’s a factory built car...............just seems odd for a 13yr old car not to have a bundle of receipts etc..........nothing to confirm engine was new when installed, not a donor/swap done at some point in last few yrs etc. perhaps I shouldn’t get so hung up on it, but every car I’ve bought has had a stack of paperwork re provenance, history, etc.

Provenance and history are very important - I’d say more so with our cars. 

Without that you really do need the all important experienced eye.