First blatt of the year

Olliebeak

Just been out in the Westy for the first time this year ,couldnt it resist with the warm sunshine and poor forecast to come. Although I have not taxed the car yet, only went five miles to check out my winter upgrades.  The 13" Superlite wheels and new Kunho tyres make a huge difference to the handling, the car seems faster, and a lot more agile than it did on the 15" TD,s.  Only problem is the space between the tyre and the wing but I will just live with that.    

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00835.JPG

DSC00834.JPG

• Like 1

Nice, if you have changed the wheel diameter, will your speedo need looking at as well?

Perhaps I dont really know and care even less, the car has had 13,14,and 15 inch wheels on during its life and I dont think the speedo has been adjusted to suit at any point. I have found out that it is best not to meddle with VDO speedo,s  and rev counters if they are working leave well alone.  Not many radar traps up here in the frozen north!!

On a different subject does anyone know how I get emoji's on my laptop, I get the urge to use them quite often on here , it helps convey the mood of the message. thanks

You do realise that you're posting on a public (that's available to everyone not just WSCC members) forum here?

Yes I do, better not antagonise the Google/Facebook police! who I am sure will scrutinize this site carefully!  

Nice car Ollie,glad your out and about again and having fun .

just a question on wheel size ,as I’ve heard it said many times before , how is the handling better ?  Is the tyre width not more influentional than the radius of the wheel ,does the diameter affect handling  ?

I know there’s a weight saving between 15  and 13’ wheels and agree with you that the gap between the 13” wheel and the arch isn’t as pleasing to the eye ,however as I’m looking for a spare set of wheels Id be interested to know yours and others thoughts .

The Caterham croud mainly use 13” as far as I know as do a lot of westy track day drivers so there must be something in it 

Thanks 

Steve

7 hours ago, Olliebeak said:

Although I have not taxed the car yet, only went five miles   

I did similar mileage once upon a time testing out a car I had restored,ended up costing me £720 in total.

Car got seized and because I chose not to pay the fixed fine of £380 from DVLA I went to court thinking I could explain how far I had driven etc,wrong.

Just thought yours must be SORN?:ph34r:

That's a £1000 fine straight off.

I’ve no idea what most of my fellow members do for a living, but I do know one custody sergeant, another regular officer, and at least two traffic Pol’ who have been Westfield owners and club members over the years. I always work on the basis you have no idea who’s reading your posts, or who might be in the future.

In this age of the internet, when someone ran in to me in my old tin top a few years ago, the first thing I did was Google them and screenshot all their social media pages from the Honda Type R owners club, a Face Book etc. especially all the stuff from their own blasting round the countryside. Dumped it straight in the hands of my Insurers. Was funny, by that evening, all the worst of the owners club stuff had gone, though the FB stuff was still there.

What we write, now, might not be an issue, but once it’s out there it can be used to build a picture...

SORNd vehicle illegal on public highway and insurance invalid so assume you were  on a private road.

After altering wheel sizes and allowing for tyre profile differences there will still be a likely difference in car speed and mileage recorded on your speedo.

I guess you're not bothered.

2 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

I guess you're not bothered.

Or I guess that he is an adult who has the ability to make his own decisions, and understands the repercusions  - in terms of the speedo accuracy , there is a good calculator here http://westfield-world.com/tyrecalculator.html

Sometimes easier marking the speedo with the 30-50-70 marks from your own calculations  

On 3/26/2018 at 15:22, BugMan said:

Nice, if you have changed the wheel diameter, will your speedo need looking at as well?

On 3/26/2018 at 15:47, Olliebeak said:

Perhaps I dont really know and care even less, the car has had 13,14,and 15 inch wheels on during its life and I dont think the speedo has been adjusted to suit at any point.

For a speedometer to be legal it must not be under-recording the speed. Any under-recording  of car mileage could be a problem.

Also how do you sell on a car with this possible variance?