Newby - DIY new build - some questions !

tc3nitro

If I do go down the S2000 route how does the reg mark get issued if I cannot prove the age of the engine ? 

You are allowed one refurbished major component to get a new reg. 

The age only matters for IVA and emissions and then only if your engine is older than 1995. 

What is the cost of a duratec at 220bhp at 105kg and a Honda s2000 at ???kg and 220bhp as an alternative. Engine and transmission is a big part of a westies weight. 

Duratec is widely available and tunable in the retro ford arena and seven type cars.

38 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

If I do go down the S2000 route how does the reg mark get issued if I cannot prove the age of the engine ? 

If you use all new parts & the engine is reconditioned to as new standard then you will have a new plate, if not it will be on a Q plate. I didn’t want mine on Q so I went for a new plate but in hindsight 3 years down the line it wouldn’t bother me if it was a Q.

28 minutes ago, 6carjon said:

What is the cost of a duratec at 220bhp at 105kg and a Honda s2000 at ???kg and 220bhp as an alternative. Engine and transmission is a big part of a westies weight. 

Duratec is widely available and tunable in the retro ford arena and seven type cars.

Honda S2000 Engine = F20C is 147kg fully dressed without gearbox. Gearbox is circa 45kg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

F20C is 147kg fully dressed without gearbox

Not with throttle bodies:d I think they knock about 17kg off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sycho said:

Not with throttle bodies:d I think they knock about 17kg off.

That’s throttle bodies, electric water pump and small Denso alternator from what I recall of Lloydox’s weighing session!

6 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

That’s throttle bodies, electric water pump and small Denso alternator from what I recall of Lloydox’s weighing session!

Your right Dave just checked my notes & it was 7 not 17kg, wishful thinking:down:

• Haha 2

There's a 42k miler F20c on Ebay at the mo, strong money tho at £4200.

Haven't seen such a low mileage engine for sale in a good while

Just saying....

• Like 2

I know the feeling!

The Honda engine and box, are physically big items, with “big” ancillaries, weight is the downside, the upside is that they’re near bomb proof even at medium levels of supercharging or turbo charging! 

As said above though, some have gone through various permutations of swapping the stock throttle body, water pump and alternator out for lighter items, and saved approx 17 kg on the engine!

Furthermore, as it was designed for rear wheel drive use, it doesn’t need fancy water rails and conversion parts to adapt it from a front wheel drive orientation.

It is amongst a small handful of other engines, amongst the most charismatic in look, sound and feel when used in Seven-type cars, especially with the I dependant throttle bodies fitted. 

• Like 1

If there was a Honda approved must leak oil mod ; It could be the new crossflow, great looks, sound and character :d

Speaking of engines designed as rwd- what’s in the latest MX-5 in its most powerful guise?  Must be their version of a Duratec surely.

The NC MX5 engine is more or less a Duratec but the latest ND model has a Mazda developed GDI engine, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve been giving the whole thing a bit of thought....

how do most people on here here purchase their builds ?

How much could I save if I just purchased a starter kit and sourced the other items from other sources ?

Quite a few buy a full kit it, for me I’ve just brought the starter kit both times for a few reasons.

1. I could not afford to buy a complete kit

2. You can potently make some good savings sourcing parts from various suppliers.

3. You can tailor the car more to your taste fitting parts from different suppliers.

4. Your not fully committed to the finished  car, for instance my first one was ordered for a pinto engine but i ended up fitting a Toyota 4age.

• Like 2