Newby - DIY new build - some questions !

tc3nitro

It also depends on your approach to building the kit as to what your budget will allow.

If your looking for a "kit in a box" (or several hundred boxes) where you're given everything to build a car then on your budget then the Fw special is probably the way to go.

If your into sourcing your own parts and buying used then if you buy a starter kit you could end up with a higher power car for less money.

My build above is a sport 250 built using this approach and I could have got the car on the road for just about 20k but I ended up splashing out on some goodies which tipped it over.

For example the Westfield supplied Mazda lsd plus the adapter flanges is 1500 quid. A refurbed Sierra lsd cost me 400. Aim dash from Westfield was 1100. From playskool several hundred less. 

However I still don't think you'd manage to get a mega s2000 built for 20k. The engines are £3-4k plus £1300 For ecu kit vs the 2.0 ecoboost at £1-2k plus 1800 for a ready mapped ford ecu.

For 20k id go either 1.6 ecoboost mated to an mx5 box or a 2.0 duratec on throttle bodies If your happy to source your own bits, id just order the mega s2000 starter kit and build off that. 

Or if you want the one supplier giving You everything the fw special zetec is the way to go. I don't think you'll get the duratec using this option in budget as the crate duratec is 5x the cost of the zetec.

I dont think the 1.6 ecoboost is a smart choice for a tight budget tbh. Your looking at least 3K for the engine and ECU, then some exhaust shenanigans, custom clutch etc then you end up with lots of umph but a very ugly engine :down:

In terms of full kit vs modular build - It is one of those things that's up to you and how much you like to do. As Steve has just pointed out you have the option to buy a starter kit and build in what you need or want. 

It can make your life easier to get it all in one go (or from one source) especially if you are not keen on buying various parts from all over the place (that can also add to hidden costs like shipping) and all the parts will be new and you will have piece of mind. 

You may also find that the need for more power isn't as great in reality as you imagine from the outset. I'm pretty happy with mine after upgrading the gearbox and shedding some weight off it - and I come from a bike background where for me the thrill was always diving hard on the brakes into tight corners and accelerating out as fast as possible, preferably on the back wheel.

I now find I am chasing the ability to use the reasonable power I have rather than hungering for more - as in reality, the car is way more capable than my driving skill allows for.

So it's track days for me, where I learn off my more experience peers, and soon it will be sprints where I can do the same. I aim to improve the handling & traction, lose more weight if possible and importantly improve ME in order to get the most out a car that already has more power to weight than your average Ferrari!

• Like 1

If you stay a member of this forum for long you will end up ditching a lot of your supplied full kit parts for better shinier ones, probably as you build.....

Members are keen to spend your money in a helpful and informative way from their experience.

If you go for a kit be sure you have read the build threads here so you can see what people end up replacing and see if that tugs at your wallet with the lure of something completely unnecessary but shinier, cooler or lighter....

The factory stuff is absolutely fine, but as everything with a manufacturer, its built to a budget and most people accidentally forget some parts they bought over the long build period and true costs are not often shared unless you really make a friend :d

I did not build my car but ever since buying it have replaced just about everything except the chassis with something "better".

I dont regret it at all, it's my hobby, just be sure what you are buying before you make that purchase.

Best of luck and welcome

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

I don't think you'll get the duratec using this option in budget as the crate duratec is 5x the cost of the zetec.

Not quite - new crate Zetec is around £850 - a Duratec is around £2400.

But if you want a decent gearbox with the Zetec, then the Duratec can save money by using a Mazda one as opposed to a £2k BGH/SPC type 9

1 hour ago, sdh2903 said:

It also depends on your approach to building the kit as to what your budget will allow.

If your looking for a "kit in a box" (or several hundred boxes) where you're given everything to build a car then on your budget then the Fw special is probably the way to go.

If your into sourcing your own parts and buying used then if you buy a starter kit you could end up with a higher power car for less money.

My build above is a sport 250 built using this approach and I could have got the car on the road for just about 20k but I ended up splashing out on some goodies which tipped it over.

For example the Westfield supplied Mazda lsd plus the adapter flanges is 1500 quid. A refurbed Sierra lsd cost me 400. Aim dash from Westfield was 1100. From playskool several hundred less. 

However I still don't think you'd manage to get a mega s2000 built for 20k. The engines are £3-4k plus £1300 For ecu kit vs the 2.0 ecoboost at £1-2k plus 1800 for a ready mapped ford ecu.

For 20k id go either 1.6 ecoboost mated to an mx5 box or a 2.0 duratec on throttle bodies If your happy to source your own bits, id just order the mega s2000 starter kit and build off that. 

Or if you want the one supplier giving You everything the fw special zetec is the way to go. I don't think you'll get the duratec using this option in budget as the crate duratec is 5x the cost of the zetec.

This is how I costed the S2000, I was not aware that I would need to buy a separate ECU ?

Kit 15249
Engine /Box 4000
LSD 895
Brakes 450
Sport seats 350
MSA cage 185

Wheels & Tyres.                       700

Total £21829 If I removed the options it a smudge over £20

Don't forget to ask for your Stoneleigh discount :sun:

21 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

This is how I costed the S2000, I was not aware that I would need to buy a separate ECU ?

Kit 15249
Engine /Box 4000
LSD 895
Brakes 450
Sport seats 350
MSA cage 185

You’re correct, the ecu is already included in that package.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

Go on......

Often get 10% off at the Show - so that could bring you under budget

22 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

Go on......

Even if you don't go just mention it and you'll get the discount. Can't remember if I got 10% or 15% (was it really than long ago now :o)

43 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

Kit 15249
Engine /Box 4000
LSD 895
Brakes 450
Sport seats 350
MSA cage 185

Yes apologies I was merely comparing the 2 powerplants separately rather than the kits. Yes the complete kit contains an ecu.

You have to budget for incidentals too. Tools. Fasteners and various other bits and bobs could easily reach 500-1000.

Registration and IVA is the best part of £1k aswell but top "man maths" generally doesn't include this;)

Nice budget :)

The other thing to consider is that budget what you have in hand to spend now?

Or is that taking into account any extra money you can add to the budget over the months of the build? 

Surprising what you can add to it over the months of the build!

Personally I wouldn't go out and buy a full kit straight away,unless it was loads cheaper and I was 100% sure I wanted to use every part in it.

Have you got plenty of space to store the bodywork etc and leave enough room to build the chassis up?