Novice Track days

Weekend Warrior

As a newish member and only having done a couple of track days with clearly more experienced drivers I was wondering if WSCC do any novice track days ?

If not why, I can’t be the only one with a new toy that wants to learn how to get close to its driving potential with like minded others

Novice sessions maybe at Blyton, on the Friday immediately before our Club's rounds of the Speed Series. Usually with some instruction available for those who want it.

• Thanks 1

Otherwise, it’s before my time, but my understanding is, the club did do some big circuit tracksdays in the past, that were very marginal in terms of club finances, and that was in the days before “needing” liability insurance to cover the club, in the event of a problem at the event.

Would you not feel safer being surrounded by experienced drivers, instead of a group of novices that may brake/turn or do something else silly at the wrong time? I prefer to do track days with more experienced people where I can see their driving lines. Of course all track days have the occasional idiot who has decided to treat it as a test day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deanspoors said:

Would you not feel safer being surrounded by experienced drivers, instead of a group of novices that may brake/turn or do something else silly at the wrong time? I prefer to do track days with more experienced people where I can see their driving lines. Of course all track days have the occasional idiot who has decided to treat it as a test day.

Yes .i was thinking more along tthe lines of a day of tuition and driving for those of us at the start of our track day journey.

Id like to learn the lines and breakinking techniques ,when to be on and off the power etc.I was thinking this may be easier with other newer drivers instead of hindering those trying to push on .

I would definitely go with Dean’s comments here; having done a track session where only me and one other driver, both novices ourselves anyway, of a total of ten drivers, had ever been on track before, it was very offputting catching up or being around most of the others. They were just so random, when it came to braking, lines etc.

Far more enjoyable with people of a generally higher skill level around.

• Like 1

I was involved in organising some of the days long, long ago and we ended up with 2 problems 1) lack of numbers to make them financially viable. 2) concern over potential liability as to keep the costs down club members were running the days. 

Unfortunately it just got to a stage where we had to stop.

The Blyton Friday is run by the Circuit staff and well attended as the sprint weekend is on immediately afterwards. It's a great event, I only wish I had a Westfield I could drive that day :d

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Yes .i was thinking more along tthe lines of a day of tuition and driving for those of us at the start of our track day journey.

Id like to learn the lines and breakinking techniques ,when to be on and off the power etc.I was thinking this may be easier with other newer drivers instead of hindering those trying to push on .

There is another option here and that is track day tuition. Quite a few track day organisers and circuits have tuition available from around £25 for 15mins. The downside to this is being in a Westfield it is impossible to communicate with the instructor without a comms system. I actually got free track day tuition with an open-track track day. The instructor sat me down in front of a track map, told me the braking points and lines through the corners, then let me go around for a few laps as he watched in silence, then brought me in and gave me a couple pointers then we went back out again. It might have been a bit easier with some sort of comms device, but it worked. For me i'm usually happy to follow another car around and steal his lines until I find my own, being in a Westfield gives you an instant advantage against most other cars to start with so you can often keep up with the faster guys in tin tops while not pushing yourself too much. :) 

• Like 2

All good advice above.

Best to go on trackdays with other WSCC members,   hints and tips are given freely.    You can also share passenger rides to see how others drive the track and pick up tips.   Don't feel like you are being intimidated by faster cars, there is always someone faster than You and I, however experienced we are.   

3 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

The Blyton Friday is run by the Circuit staff and well attended as the sprint weekend is on immediately afterwards. It's a great event, I only wish I had a Westfield I could drive that day :d

WSCC Blyton 13th July an excellent Novice track day. Loads of support with tuition sessions.

And challenging enough for the more experienced.

Nick - I'm sure if you head down on the Friday and hang around the start with your helmet looking suitably sad/hopeful several will take pity and give you Westie drives.

• Like 1

Carlimits down south at North Weald Airfield do a couple of sessions that might suit. These are an introduction to handling and lines (although not on a track) to help you become used to your own car in safe environment. They also do a £50 fun day where you can literally rag the tyres off your car if you so choose. All of these are in a safe controlled environment and you go out one at time too.

Almost all track days will have the odd idiot in a tin top to spoil things, learning about who these folks are and how to handle them is all part of negotiating around a track and getting into your comfort zone; most serious track day organsiers spot these folks and "have words" so it rarely a constant worry throughout the day.

Pretty much as folks have said above, ANY track day with good WSCC attendance is worth it's weight in gold as Members will always offer up help, advice, car share, tuition (not professional (although can be purchased from other sources on the day)), etc. Blyton of course is one of the best as there is such a broad spectrum of talent and experience including professional tuition from members and it's predominantly Westfields. You might also consider the Speed Series 21st celebrations at Shelsley Walsh as an opportunity to not only drive the iconic hill but talk to other members and competitive drivers.

To touch on WSCC track days specifically, Blyton is the only WSSC hosted day we do and as folks have said, we'd dearly love to to another one or two but we simply don't get the numbers to make it financially viable. This does not mean we never will though...

MSV track days are running plenty of novice days... Instruction always worth the money even in noisy open top..especially once you have had some time at the circuit..

Gold track used to do three groups which was good when starting out..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

It's a great event, I only wish I had a Westfield I could drive that day :d

Have you not got a Westfield Nick? :)  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Have you not got a Westfield Nick? :)  

At the moment, but not really a track day one and Copper keeps telling me I'll be selling it soon ??????

5 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

WSCC Blyton 13th July an excellent Novice track day. Loads of support with tuition sessions.

And challenging enough for the more experienced.

Nick - I'm sure if you head down on the Friday and hang around the start with your helmet looking suitably sad/hopeful several will take pity and give you Westie drives.

Now, that sounds a bit like an offer I can't refuse. Brightened up my  day, Dave :sun::sun:

• Like 1