New Member - Cheshire - A1243R

A1243R

I'm sorry but discounting a car on the grounds of having ebc pads fitted is quite frankly ridiculous.

And no I don't like them either. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I'm sorry but discounting a car on the grounds of having ebc pads fitted is quite frankly ridiculous.

Sorry, but the bits attached to the car say a lot of the owner, and the sense of the build.

I stop reading an Ad of a motorsport//spirited driving car when I read:

""the car is bloddy awesome and it has been Build for track use and fast road use..."

and then in the speck I see something like EBC all around or TA tecnix Coilovers or some nosense parts for the kind of car that is meant to be.

I simply can´t take the car or the owner seriously anymore. Just leave the topic. All this thing came because reading between the lines the car the OP was asking for, had some parts not quite matching the overall build and isn´t a bad Idea to check if the car has been properly build and developed or is only a bunch of expensive parts thrown together (even when the car comes, as Dave says, from a very reliable build. At the end has been out of the radar for a number of years and we don´t know what happened to it). I don´t think is that bad advice, honest.

The car would appear to be in very similar spec to the highly documented and developed form it was in when sold, EBC pads included.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Was just about to type exactly that!:sun:

I´ve given the reasons why... and is not just the EBC thing, is any bit that looks out of place in a build that could make suspicious the whole aim of it...

However, eventually will learn that my view of common sense and performance focused minding looks ridiculous and I´ll learn to shut the **** up when someone is asking for advice. 

I think I´ve given a good advice, witch is "hold on, it lacks something on the overal speck, (I also spoke about the ARB), is worth to check is not only a shiny thing bolted toguether". If you want to stick with the fact that I think selling EBC should be a legal offence, is up to you (or the potential owner). My advice was much deeply argumented and I´ve already given the reasons.

That also could be aplied to cars sold with 10 grands engines on it and are not drysumped, or 350hp builds that keep the tiny polo radiator  on the car and are sold like the ultimate weapon trackday focused thing.

I gess that is the reason I ended buying the car I bought in the moment, and not the other ones I was meant to check or try, and it was purerly becaus it was developed in a very sensible way, with no "wrong" stuff on it and for its intended use. Good thing I did as I have not changed a single bolt of it since I own it, other than purely mantenaince.

All thanks for the comments! I do appreciate everyone’s time... I’ve now secured the car so just got to head down test drive it, make sure I’m happy and then somehow make it back up. 

Does anyone one know any decent trailer hire companies? 

Also is there anybody who is well known on the forum local to Cardiff / Bridgend? 

• Like 1

Your advice made logical jumps and contained assumptions that simply do not compare with the historically documented side of this cars history. I’ve never used EBC pads, you may we’ll be right, but I’m aware it’s also not black and white on that topic. We’ve had debates on them in the past on the Boardroom, many dislike them, but I have to say ay, some have also liked them. 

This car was methodically developed over some years, with much of the testing documented at the time on the owners web site. It contained many custom made elements in carbon fibre and other lightweight materials, if I remember right, a fair bit of the composite work was done by John himself.

One of the primary goals was a very low weight and high power to weight ratio. This was achieved, it was SVA’d at sub 430 kg. It was not built as a track nail, but at the time was built to an exceptionally high standard, (I recall seeing it at Stoneleigh many years ago) and was built with very single minded focus on its desired goals. It was the builders second Westfield, though John was instrumental in helping on many other builds, from what I recall.

Im not sure why you seem to find a plumbed in fire extinguisher system on a road/track day car so offensive, while the anti roll bar issue is an interesting one. We’ve had plenty of very studied pieces written on here, including by Adam, illustrating the pros and cons.

I do agree, you do have to be careful going off photos alone, of an unknown car. And of course close examination is always good advice. But while everyone is fully entitled to their opinion, including strong dislikes for items. Please, do temper what you right with a little common sense too, before we get complaints of libeling manufacturers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A1243R said:

All thanks for the comments! I do appreciate everyone’s time... I’ve now secured the car so just got to head down test drive it, make sure I’m happy and then somehow make it back up. 

Does anyone one know any decent trailer hire companies? 

Also is there anybody who is well known on the forum local to Cardiff / Bridgend? 

My m8 has a transporter, if you can't find a trailer let me know if you want a quote :)

My Advice have not made any logical jump at all, its been all the time the same I´ve been saying, and you will not find any different statement since I´ve started, witch have been "hold on, it lacks something on the overal speck, (I also spoke about the ARB), is worth to check is not only a shiny thing bolted toguether".

I do not know the car, nor John, so I only can speack about what I see and what I feel, witch again I think is fairly sensible. All my other reply have been to try to justify my thoughs, witch obviously, I´ve not been succeed. Probably my lack english doesn´t help.

For the OP, if you need a trailer, you are welcome to borrow my covered trailer, I recall you was from cheshire... on the basis of you break it you pay it. the fee will be a large pack of punk IPA. :p 

Contact me by PM if you are stucked and you need transport.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, CosKev said:

My m8 has a transporter, if you can't find a trailer let me know if you want a quote :)

I have a mate with a transporter but he can’t do it until end of May... will only be £150 with him but ideally I’d like to take it away the same day! 

Just now, A1243R said:

I have a mate with a transporter but he can’t do it until end of May... will only be £150 with him but ideally I’d like to take it away the same day! 

I would price up tickets to go down on train to view,then sort out collection if it's what you want :)

3 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Took me a while to realise how rubbish they are. Even after many potential life shortening episodes with yellows and greens and wondering why people sing their praises :rolleyes:, I now have decided lifes worth living . I have recently ditched the black pads out of my factory supplied Hi Spec calipers and now have Mintex in there and feel far more confident I will stop in time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Took me a while to realise how rubbish they are. Even after many potential life shortening episodes with yellows and greens and wondering why people sing their praises :rolleyes:, I now have decided lifes worth living . I have recently ditched the black pads out of my factory supplied Hi Spec calipers and now have Mintex in there and feel far more confident I will stop in time. 

Once the OP has colected, or rejected the car, I will show you what happened to every single of us who driven hard with EBC... but i have to find the time to search all the pictures. Spoiler alert... I coud have died going down the Alps in Suitzerland with an mk2 mk5 when aproaching a hairpin one of my greenstuff friction material decieded to be free from the support pad and locked my pedal rock hard... the car eventually stopped with the handbrake at few inches of a massive drop.

Then one of my mates who used to race with me binned a set of 6 pod brembos calipers, because all the yellow bit of the yellow stuff melted and went under the piston seals damaging the cilinder housing... in a 30 minutes session with a Leon Cupra.

The same day the above happened, a k20 eg honda civic, half burned because the orange stuff pads lighted on, burning the tyre and the wheel housing...

Yep awesome stuff. I dont know any serious driver that have keept the EBC pads after testing them, and many have given them a go. May not be black and white for a light use to go to the shop to buy some beers... but when it comes to use them as they should (dont forget they are sold with no road homologation and intended only for motorsport use) it is black and white... quite black actually.

That is the reason i cant take seriously a car fully developed that is performing well with EBC as it means the car has not been anywhere near to its limits, therfore any development is hipotetical.

Missing out on the first big drive! I insured my mate on my car, road trip down both of us. Simple tools for in the "Support" car for the way home....cost me breakfast and petrol. If you don't buy it it's a day out with your mate

Good luck with the new car! I’m sure you’ll love it! Like others have suggested you’re probably better getting someone to take you down, then you can drive the car back and give it a good run! I drove from Cheshire to Worcester to collect mine and my dad followed me home! You can sort out your insurance when you get there....it was a cold February day when I picked mine up...but fortunately no rain!

• Like 1