Ginetta factory visit Sunday 25th

BugMan

After spotting somebody else thread on "Piston Heads" on here, I signed up for the visit last Sunday to the factory, so I duly got up early as there was a limited number slots, and it was first-come first-served so arrived at about 8:45, and got on the 9:15 tour.

Was very interesting, had no idea they were such a force at this and the technology involved was fantastic.  Highly recommend getting along if/when they re-run it.

Having been to Westfield's factory a few times, and then seeing this its many generations apart :down:

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

• Like 1

I went to look at a G40r to buy , rather than build the westie. But , yes they are a race car , but being the road version, I hoped it would be reasonably screwed together. It had done 2k miles . And in the boot was all the bits that had fallen off and there was plenty of bits. The airbox was already broken, the fuse box hanging down. I was really disappointed. Yes, they were fixable, but for 27k , I expected more. Plus getting in was worse than the Elise with a roof on. So, that spawned the immortal words to the wife ' I could build a better car than that ', which she said ' well, why dont you'............ and the rest is history.............

• Haha 1

Ginetta were selling a G40r with a boot full of broken bits for £27k!! Really! Why?

9 hours ago, greenstreak said:

Ginetta were selling a G40r with a boot full of broken bits for £27k!! Really! Why?

It was their southern dealer that had the car in. I went to have a look. There were a couple of black cars up north ( Harrogate and Leeds) for sale too, but I wanted to have a look at a more local car.  I couldnt justify that kind of money on a car that was in bits to be honest. Also the roof was rippled from the mould. When I mean rippled , it was really poor. Bonnet was chaffing into the panels next to it and it just completely put me off thinking about buying one.

Just found a picture of the exact car. Looks OK from here

ginetta-g40r-coupe-petrol_24948564.jpg.ad93a2ed909e361d16795791c2004bbe.jpg

I’ve heard similar lark said by others, TJ. Your experience wasn’t unique.

Theyre just so pretty...

Likewise I looked at them a couple of years ago after rave reviews from Autocar.  

Other than the very nice tubular chassis with FIA roll cage integrated, the product perceived quality was terrible.  GRP panels fit and finish were worse than I have ever seen at the price.  It needs to atleast be Ultima quality at this price.

I bought an Elise instead.

They are a pretty and unusual car and I wanted to look at this before travelling up north. Black would have shown the roof mould even worse. I was really disappointed in what I saw. Also the contact points in the cabin were showing wear marks too and the door didnt shut properly . The southern Ginetta dealer selling wasnt fussed. Said it will sell as a Ginetta . So, didnt even go for a drive in it.

I viewed the G40R at the factory near Leeds but build quality of the demonstrator wasn't to my liking and access was difficult for me so next day I went to see Simon and ordered the westie.

Likewise I was looking at these with a view to purchase some years ago at the national kit show,  but the salesman was so far up his own backside I decided to look elsewhere .

Put me right off :oops:

I have yet to see one in road trim, I know a local dealer in Northwich had one. Not intent on buying, just love the look. 

Apparently suspension is mainly rose jointed, good for track, but would need regular checking for road use. 

Done the Elise itch (only a year), glad I have the Westie. No intention of letting the Westie go!

Andy

5 minutes ago, greenstreak said:

I have yet to see one in road trim, I know a local dealer in Northwich had one. Not intent on buying, just love the look. 

Apparently suspension is mainly rose jointed, good for track, but would need regular checking for road use. 

Done the Elise itch (only a year), glad I have the Westie. No intention of letting the Westie go!

Andy

I thought the road cars were bushes and cheaper shocks. Was a while ago since I looked at them, maybe 2 1/2 years ago.