Build Info Wiki

Peter (Monty)

@Kit Car Electronics just suggested in another thread the idea of a wiki-style build info resource to fill the gaps in the manuals from WF. To avoid derailing that build thread shall we move the conversation here?

I actually started working a while back on a wiki (hosted for free on Wikia) but never put the link up as I didn't get very far - I created some of the page structure but didn't get much info into it yet. Here is the link:

http://westfield.wikia.com/wiki/Westfield_Wiki

Here is one of the pages I actually populated:

http://westfield.wikia.com/wiki/Front_Wishbones_-_Wide_Track

Would we prefer a WSCC-hosted service? Hosting on a wiki site makes it very easy for the community to collaboratively add and edit information.

All thoughts welcome...

In fact, if we had a build 'wiki' here (or elsewhere), Mark Walker could even post latest factory info in there - he must get really bored answering the same questions day-in, day-out from builders that just need a more up to date photo from the factory, for example.

If we did it here (rather than a 'wiki' site) then it might be easier to moderate and more visible to the majority of members, perhaps? Plus we could ask WSC to sponsor the server space...

• Like 3

From a different perspective, there are also different ways to be able to build a 'different  to factory' construction , which many of us have achieved on certain parts, so this could be a good sub section to also consider.  

Just think of the time Mark Walker could save by having this information available ' To subscribing members only'. 

We are aware of the stalling of any recent publication of construction manuals and I agree in this great idea , to give confidence to new builds and new members embarking on building , especially on rare cars with information issues. This would also help with the same information from new builders asking and repetition. Although we all like to help, by the bucket load , if documented , will assist the builder on a Sunday morning when no other factory assistance is available.

• Like 3

I'd also support this idea, and would willingly submit content.

If we had the a) Official step, and then B1), B2), B3) etc. popular alternative submitted by members and then moderated by somebody senior, like Dave.

I also bet there is a massive amount of cross over between generations and model types that all could benefit from.

I'd also been thinking of a recommended supplies list for things like alternate to "Silicon Sealant" for panel fixing, where I picked up some P40, which I've just been using today, and found from somebody else build thread.

Recommended tools would also be another good idea maybe?

• Like 1

One fairly simple option, and keeping it on the forum, would be an evolution of the FAQ section. Increase the number of subforums (e.g. split up suspension and brakes; split powertrain into engine, gearbox, diff; etc), and within each section, have a number of sticky topics which always show at the top. These could serve as indexes to look up a particular subject, with links to non-sticky topics in that section with the relevant info.

E.g. in Powertrain, there could be a Differential sticky post, which links to various topics, one for each kind of diff, with specs, fitting instructions, and so on.

The disadvantage of this is that it would need a lot of moderation and doesn't allow collaborative editing, as I assume (admins aside) only post authors can edit the content of their posts?

• Like 1

This sounds like a very good idea. Not only benefiting the factory as they dont get pestered with the same questions each day, but anyone ‘in-build’ can find answers quickly or quicker. 

Gets my vote

It’s on my radar folks - just busy catching up with work after being ill etc etc blah blah bleat :d

Not quite the same as the OP but I started this thread a while ago for builders of the Mazda SDV

• 1 month later...

Bumping this while I remember, but of course it's a busy time for everyone - something to look at after Stoneleigh is out of the way perhaps

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for moving. So what are people's thoughts on this? It seems like it could be really useful and there are plenty of people who would be happy to help contribute content once a format is defined.

Sounds like a great idea to me! I’m just starting some basic work on mine and am already trawling threads and google searches trying to find some things here and there. A dedicated place would be great.

There's a fair bit of background work going on at the mo. Perhaps we should revisit this middle of June...?