Which Air Filter?

Peter (Monty)

What cone filter would people recommend for an S2000 with stock manifold? Is there space for a twin cone, and is it worthwhile?

To be honest there's too much choice :d

I fitted a pipercross cone one, I think it was for a Vauxhall Astra VXR. It's in the garage still in the box if you need the number,  I got it cheap of eBay but anyone will do as long as its the correct size outlet.

I got a Ramair one from Ramair. it has a built in trumpet to flow air better and also a 72mm ( if I remember correct) alloy elbow, which I wrinkle painted and a couple of silicon joiners. 

351_New_Filter.thumb.jpg.1d6b23f7d1442d063fd55f073fb31c15.jpg

72mm? I thought my throttle body was 63mm, although I'm currently in Spain so can't check :d I like to get stuff ordered when I'm away to save time once I'm back

Mine was carbon & looks to be bigger than Justin's but the silicon joint takes up any slight differences.

IMG_0544.thumb.JPG.4028f4ccdc749a7feab19d7dc1bc6a14.JPG

• Like 1

Yep, all the ones I've seen  in use, factory builds included have been large bore filters, with a reducer down to the TB size.

2 minutes ago, Sycho said:

Mine was carbon & looks to be bigger than Justin's but the silicon joint takes up any slight differences

It's not a competition :d

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

It's not a competition :d

I know you can't compete with carbon:p

• Haha 1

From a dimly remembered conversation with Mark at WSC Ltd, (I don't think it was Simon), the first cars had those nice carbon intake pipes; they were actually an aftermarket kit, filter included I guess for a Honda Civic Type R of some description. I guess they just bought a small job lot, used them on the first cars through, and after that, the dimensions of the pipework from that kit probably just "stuck".

The diameter is 76mm as @Sychosaid.  K&N filter for me but I've re-routed it above a "splitter plate" which is intended to provide some colder air above the radiator.

IMG_20160726_165924.thumb.jpg.ba21ffeea96ce9534effd041695bbe54.jpg

see

• Like 1

Factory kit is a larger tube than the inlet body. I kept it the same bore size from tb to filter to keep air less turbulent and didnt see any gain in a large bore then hitting the step down joiner at the TB.