Moving a Loaded Trailer

Kingster

1 hour ago, iowlee said:

Chris

I have a Mr Shifta no3 that I no longer use as don't really use the sprint shuttle much anymore as I have converted the truck to take the car.

Shame you are so far away, I could be tempted to part with it.

However I highly recommend  it for ease of use, just go careful if trying to turn too tightly with a twin axle trailer as if you jackknife the Mr shifta and get it stuck its a pain in the rear. Single axle trailers are so much easier to manoeuvre off the tow vehicle.

Lee

Cheers Lee

Looks like I’m going to strike a deal with @Nick - Joint North East AO For his motorised jockey wheel, so should be sorted with that and the marginally bigger room the roller door will offer :t-up:

edit - and the block paving @chriss1455 :d

2 hours ago, Dommo said:

Do mr shiftas deal with gravel driveways and gentle inclines?

Gentle inclines, definitely OK. 

Gravel driveway, I haven't tried mine on a very loose surface, but it does cope on the entrance to mine which is a little loose, but not really gravel, so sorry can't answer that question. It is not the fastest mover in the world but it does shift the Shuttle with car in it easily backwards and forwards. I try to get the height right so as little weight is on the front axle as possible this makes turning so much easier.

I have a box trailer that fully loaded is about 500-550 KG, Single axle. It moves this around way easier.

Hope this helps

Lee

7 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I guess I need to talk to @chriss1455 about the drive :d

4 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

edit - and the block paving @chriss1455 :d

I knew i should have kept my mouth shut :down:. Give me a shout if you want me to look at anything mate

• Haha 1

When I was sprinting I always loaded up the car and trailer the night before, and parked up so the road car was between the trailer and the public highway, so in the morhning it was just a case of get in and drive away.

Admittedly my drive is quite roomy, but you don't need a lot of room for one tintop and a smallish trailer, do you?

Then no disturbance of the neighbours when you pull away at "silly-o'clock".

59 minutes ago, stephenh said:

When I was sprinting I always loaded up the car and trailer the night before, and parked up so the road car was between the trailer and the public highway, so in the morhning it was just a case of get in and drive away.

Admittedly my drive is quite roomy, but you don't need a lot of room for one tintop and a smallish trailer, do you?

Then no disturbance of the neighbours when you pull away at "silly-o'clock".

Yes - been looking over the room I have and while I can't get the trailer on the drive without the hitch blocking the pavement (my tintop barely fits) - I do have a bit of gravelled area to the side, so might manage to have it loaded up and use the tintop to block the drive entry enough that he trailer can't be moved with it in the way.

My insurance is with A plan... And one of their standard terms is car is only insured at night at home if in garage.. away from home then ok on trailer.. I think there is a time quoted say 6pm to 6 am... So something to consider or be aware of...

4 hours ago, Mole said:

My insurance is with A plan... And one of their standard terms is car is only insured at night at home if in garage.. away from home then ok on trailer.. I think there is a time quoted say 6pm to 6 am... So something to consider or be aware of...

Ah, yes, very good point! Mine has to be garaged overnight at home too.

However, I think having the tin top parked across the drive, with a brick wall enclosing the area should mean it will be secure (famous last words!) and thus an acceptable risk.