Moving a Loaded Trailer

Kingster

41 minutes ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

Chris, don't get one of those, they are rubbish. Guy on Uphill racers bought one and it was crap. He had a real problem trying to get his money back. 

I use an electric jockey wheel which works great, takes a couple of minutes to put on and off but moves a BIG trailer with car in it. Welcome to come and have a demo any time, :d:d

Nick

Did think about one of those. 

1 hour ago, bunje said:

can you not pull the trailer in forwards so the rear of the car is by the garage door. i have abou the same clerance. my marker lights are flexible so they bend around the post. the hitch goes under my work bench with about 50mm to spare and i just climb over the car to get out so i leave it loaded overnight and just push it out in the morning

That’s how it is, it’s just the moving while fully loaded that is the problem as I have to wiggle it a bit and then line it up perfectly  

doesn’t help with two motorbikes on one side and a compressor on the other!

128BA6F1-31FF-4E7B-A19C-9279531A4C60.jpeg

52 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Has the trailer got a winch?

No it’s only an ickle trailer :)

3 hours ago, Craig Spooner said:

Hi Chris fitted caravan motor movers to mine, expensive but best thing I did due to tight space & slope on the access drive.

Bit pricey though @Craig Spooner though would be nice!

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

No it’s only an ickle trailer :)

OK, I just couldn't see from your photo.

a very small / second hand winch would be a great help to pull the trailer back and forth with a little thought ?

Is the real issue the lack of clearance between trailer wheel arch and door frame and therefore trying to judge with it hitched to the car.

If so then

idea 1

Could you make the lower section of the frame removable, I can't see from the outside what's attached to the inside and it may not be possible if the door mechanism is attached. You could then remove the lower 18" or so when you need to pull the trailer in or out.

idea 2

some sort of guide rails that you bolt to the floor that force the trailer wheels to go where you want them, once the wheels are between the rails then you know it's going to go through.

I have one of these Mr Shifta to move mine. Because my driveway is a slope it won't move the loaded trailer as there's insufficient grip for the tyres. It would do it on the level though. It happily moves the empty trailer up the incline of the drive which I would be unable to do single-handed.

They are no longer made but plenty are around on eBay etc. The No2 or No3 are the better choices apparently.

Why not make the space on the side of the garage into some sort of lean to? Then could get it out the night before and park it there undercover.  Make the access to the drive a little bigger to make ut easier getting in and out if the trailers on a bit of an angle

14 minutes ago, chriss1455 said:

Why not make the space on the side of the garage into some sort of lean to? Then could get it out the night before and park it there undercover.  Make the access to the drive a little bigger to make ut easier getting in and out if the trailers on a bit of an angle

It’s not that big Chris.

1 hour ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

Is the real issue the lack of clearance between trailer wheel arch and door frame and therefore trying to judge with it hitched to the car.

If so then

idea 1

Could you make the lower section of the frame removable, I can't see from the outside what's attached to the inside and it may not be possible if the door mechanism is attached. You could then remove the lower 18" or so when you need to pull the trailer in or out.

idea 2

some sort of guide rails that you bolt to the floor that force the trailer wheels to go where you want them, once the wheels are between the rails then you know it's going to go through.

I’m planning on fitting a roller door so will have a bit more room. 

Reversing it in would be tight - plus the garage narrows at the rear hence there’s more room for it to fit in nose first. 

43 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I have one of these Mr Shifta to move mine. Because my driveway is a slope it won't move the loaded trailer as there's insufficient grip for the tyres. It would do it on the level though. It happily moves the empty trailer up the incline of the drive which I would be unable to do single-handed.

They are no longer made but plenty are around on eBay etc. The No2 or No3 are the better choices apparently.

That would work. Will keep an eye out. 

6 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

It’s not that big Chris.

Plenty of room for a trailer to be covered. Unless my memory is wrong?

Just now, chriss1455 said:

Plenty of room for a trailer to be covered. Unless my memory is wrong?

It’s a triangle, so looks bigger than it is :)

Actually @chriss1455 your right!

there is enough room and I could park car on drive to block it in. 

Still requires a bit of manoeuvring on gravel though.