Moving a Loaded Trailer

Kingster

One problem I have with my small junk-filled garage and having the car in there on a trailer, is the difficulty I have when it comes to actually taking the car anywhere ON the trailer.

Basically, due to the tight squeeze getting it in (I have about 1-2mm clearance either side - yes, millimetres) along with the room available, it's pretty much impossible to reverse it in fully loaded. I don't even want to try!

So, if I fancy a track day or sprint this season and want to avoid the cost of a hotel the night before, it means getting up at the crack of dawn, unloading car off trailer, push trailer out of garage, start car up and p*** the neighbours off at 5am, drive it onto the trailer, strap it all down and go.

Now, if I could manoeuvre it in reverse out of the garage while already strapped down, it would not only save a lot of time, but also mean I can still talk to the neighbours.

So, thought one of these might help - anyone used one - or have any other suggestions that do not involve large sums of cash (or clearing out the garage @Thrustyjust it's just not happening!)

I will probably be fitting a roller door instead of the current up-and-over as this will free up a good 75mm each side once the wooden batons are removed, so that will help - and will also be taking up a chunk of the available spare cash!

Hi Chris fitted caravan motor movers to mine, expensive but best thing I did due to tight space & slope on the access drive.

can you not pull the trailer in forwards so the rear of the car is by the garage door. i have abou the same clerance. my marker lights are flexible so they bend around the post. the hitch goes under my work bench with about 50mm to spare and i just climb over the car to get out so i leave it loaded overnight and just push it out in the morning

31 minutes ago, RussH said:

In seriousness, why is clearing out the garage not an option?

Because it wouldn’t make the door any bigger?

brute force.  The tow ball bit hitches to the trailer then you lever the trailer up and shove

30 minutes ago, Valentinik said:

Because it wouldn’t make the door any bigger?

It’s not just the door aperture that’s the problem (that’s how I read it anyway)

Personally I am not keen on trying to push around a loaded trailer of around 900kgs full stop.

Previously I have done all the shunting the night before, strapped the car onto the trailer outside and hitched it to the car ready to go the next morning.

I then reverse the car and trailer up in front of the garage. So to steal the Westy or the trailer would mean having to move the tow car. Then just put the Walker St Clair cover over the Westy and go to bed

Chris, don't get one of those, they are rubbish. Guy on Uphill racers bought one and it was crap. He had a real problem trying to get his money back. 

I use an electric jockey wheel which works great, takes a couple of minutes to put on and off but moves a BIG trailer with car in it. Welcome to come and have a demo any time, :d:d

Nick

Also, daft idea, but why don't you put the lower 3 or 4 ft of wooden battens either side on hinges so they hinge out the way ??

Presuming you don't have space to park up the loaded trailer the night before? .. you don't actually say? Is there nowhere locally you could securely leave your car + trailer all loaded ready to go? ..or even just the loaded up trailer so you just have to hitch up the tow car?