Safe at Work ...........or maybe not ?

Thrustyjust

The chair modifying girl has good tast in power tools a 4.5” a Makita.   If she farts she’ll reduce her ladyshave usage. ! 

In this country "health and safety" has replaced common sense with procedures, a good thing when you consider how many people have no common sense, BUT not so good when you consider that the people writing the procedures have never done the job they're writing the procedures for.

Take for example my current health and safety handbook:

Safe use of Hot Glue Guns and Air guns
Using hot glue guns and air guns
must be operated with
care and attention at all times.
Before using the hot glue guns ensure that your work area is
free from clutter and combustibles.
After use ensure hot glue gun / air guns
are switched off.
Move hot glue gun away from yourself during cooling to
prevent accidental burns by brushing against them.
Never use an air gun to dust off your clothing or skin

Yes that's right, our hot melt glue guns spew lava, which could set fire to the building if used next to anything combustible........

NO doubt as it generates heat and causes fires, you have Risk Assessments in place, Hot works Permits, Fire extinguishers etc etc.

50 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

NO doubt as it generates heat and causes fires, you have Risk Assessments in place, Hot works Permits, Fire extinguishers etc etc.

Well everything electrical generates heat, a glue gun (depending on the type) is up to around 200c,which is well below the sort of temperatures required to actually set fire to anything (233C for paper, 400+ for wood). But what they did was outsource the HS handbook to another company, who sent around two clueless young office girls to do the risk assessments, probably never even seen a glue gun before.

Honestly I was sat there working on some equipment, live mains running through a PCB upside down on my bench, all exposed, i'm wearing a stupid lab coat that we HAVE to wear when visitors are around, one that catches on stuff and badly restricts movement making it impossible to get hands above shoulder height and near impossible to get away from anything should it explode, but they were clueless, totally clueless, just looking for the standard text book rubbish that would only apply in an office.

They also failed to spot that the new LED lighting was inadequate for working with components the size of a grain of sand, but the idiot in a suit that designed the lighting said that we had "the same light as required in a normal office", well news flash this isn't an office.......

Ultimately they don't give a damn if someone gets hurt, as long there is someone else to take blame. Even if that person is just someone who memorised a health and safety text book and passed a few tests.... In a classroom.

Sounds like a rant, but i'm just sick and tired of UK corporate BS and clueless people somehow being put into jobs they should not be doing, idiots promoting bigger idiots, because an even bigger idiot is no threat to their position.

• Like 2

The clip with the oil takes me back. We had a unit that you drained oil into and it held around 40 gallons of used oil. When it was full you plugged it into the compressed air and a rubber float valve in the unit rose and the oil was pumped out into a large container out side via a pipe.

Except every so often the valve would fail under pressure and a fountain of oil would erupt hitting the roof of the workshop, 40ft or so up. This would then keep pumping the oil out at a fair old rate until either, you threw an apprentice in to unplug it, you did it your self or it pumped it all out. Imagine just how big a mess 40 gallons of oil, dripping from the roof and quickly running across the workshop makes and how long it took to clear up. The boss would never buy a new one so we just had to play Russian roulette with it.

The one with the tyre explodes make me shudder. I've seen the aftermath of someone inflating an aircraft tyre with an unregulated nitrogen supply. Not pretty.

Also one airline installed a steel cage in the hangar to inflate tyres in, only to wander past one day to see an apprentice inflating one. Whilst sat inside the cage on the tyre:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Just now, sdh2903 said:

The one with the tyre explodes make me shudder. I've seen the aftermath of someone inflating an aircraft tyre with an unregulated nitrogen supply. Not pretty.

Also one airline installed a steel cage in the hangar to inflate tyres in, only to wander past one day to see an apprentice inflating one. Whilst sat inside the cage on the tyre:rolleyes:

What pressure do plane tyres get pumped up to Steve ?

Depends on tyre/aircraft size. The biggest ones we use  are 235psi and the wheel/tyre combo is getting on for 250kgs. 

The one that I've seen the investigation on blowing up was being inflated with a 3000psi Nitrogen bottle with no regulator:o. I believe the guy lost most of his arm and was lucky to be alive.

Yes the girl with the grinder could have had a nasty gash!!  She should use protection!!

I loved the courier falling in the fish pond, getting wet.. but still delivered his paperwork!!

Great stuff..

17 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Depends on tyre/aircraft size. The biggest ones we use  are 235psi and the wheel/tyre combo is getting on for 250kgs. 

The one that I've seen the investigation on blowing up was being inflated with a 3000psi Nitrogen bottle with no regulator:o. I believe the guy lost most of his arm and was lucky to be alive.

Almost a Darwin award for the nitrogen

Well it wasn't as straightforward as that it was borrorrowed equipment that turned out to be faulty/non regulated  etc. It was one of those occasions where all the holes in the Swiss cheese aligned for the guy. 

Not good at all. We pressure test a/c  systems up to 400 psi with flexible hoses , which worries me for the guys, but the are supposedly safe to double that. If anything went wrong , it could be fatal . 

I actually thought the guy sitting behind the angle grinder girl, sawing through a broom handle with a rip saw with his bare leg underneath, was worse

6 hours ago, Monty said:

I actually thought the guy sitting behind the angle grinder girl, sawing through a broom handle with a rip saw with his bare leg underneath, was worse

Yes, its wrong in so many ways , but someone out there wont see it is !!