Can I drill through?

snowy892

Hi. 

With my newish half hood I've pulled it over the windscreen and the push studs go past the original studs put in by Westfield. My intention is to drill and put on new studs. I've tried gorilla glue but to no avail. 

My question is, can I drill approx the same as previous studs but lower Down? Or do I need to remove windscreen.

Unless. Anyone has another idea..

I have thought about moving the studs on the material but that means cutting into the plastic trim inside the cover.

Thank you. 

20180218_191922.jpg

Drilling a new hole could cause you problems, not sure about removing the glass....my suggestion would be to re-locate the stud in the hood...

I'm not sure about drilling into the windscreen surround I would defently be more inclined to move the press stud.

Before my time, but looking at old build manuals, they used to tell you to remove the glass before drilling the frame.

I know people  have done it in situ, but the chances of it going wrong are high, specially if you have to drill out the old rivets, then drill fresh.

I'd just put a new press stud in the hood along side the existing one.

I've had the glass out of the frame before and aside from the fact that it's a b******d to get back in again, the curved corners were cut very iregular (they're more like an octagon) so in one area you might be a few millimetres away from the glass and in others no clearance at all.

Cheers guys. I thought it might be easier drilling.however after some very good points I'd better refit a new press stud in the hood. 

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Move the female part that is attached to the fabric.....easily done and no chance of messing up the glass.

dave

I drilled my frame in situ.... from memory 10 holes for my new hood. No problems at all. The glass didn't protrude into the frame by much. (As per your photo shows)

42 minutes ago, Hornet600 said:

I drilled my frame in situ.... from memory 10 holes for my new hood. No problems at all. The glass didn't protrude into the frame by much. (As per your photo shows)

After reading the other posts, I don't know if I've got the balls to do it!! However it would be so much easier!!

Maybe you could first drill a small inspection hole near the edge of the frame that would be covered by the stud?