Getting oil of the garage floor

andyismilesaway

Don't ask how (trying to do too many jobs with not enough hands), but in my last engine oil change I managed to spill about 1L on the grey concrete garage floor. At the time I tried to mop up as much as possible, but it's left; at best a black island and in places what feels like a layer of set oil. Annoying.

The internet has many videos of a can of coke removing in an instant, or cat litter, have just tried Mr muscle oven cleaner to no avail.

Any ideas how or if I can remove the black oil!? Without hurting the concrete obviously.

(Already considered staining the lot black and just putting down rubber tiles)

You will all laugh at this but Johnson Baby Wipes have been fantastic for removing oil from my painted garage floor!

• Haha 1

Fairy liquid dripped on the puddle and left well alone for a few weeks. It will degrade the oil allowing you to clear up. Repeat if necessary. This also works on driveway block paving. 

Cement is what I use. Usually buy a small bag of PostCrete from B&Q - it's what you see the marshals do on track spills, cement over the spill and use a big brush to brush it off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

I've had some mild success with No Nonsense Driveway cleaner from Screwfix.

I had similar success with patio cleaner when I split a bit, not as much as a litre though....it does not half make a mess. Looked like I had the Exxon Valdez round for a disco. 

I have pva'd my concrete floor with a weakish mix with water to keep the dust down. Just did those bits again after the clean up. 

Excellent ideas, thanks folks. Will give a few ideas a shot. It did indeed go everywhere, just spread :S

I have a can of Jizer for spills.       Spray on the oily floor, brush in with any sort of brush, leave for 10 mins.      Hose with copious amounts of water and a broom and it disappears down the road.      You need to paint the garage floor with floor paint to prevent oil soaking into the concrete in the future, also prevents dust on the car when parked up in the garage.

If it is bad then the newest way is to use an Enzyme cleaner. The blurb below tells how it works and the type of product. There are plenty of these in the UK you just need to have a look around, they are not cheap but do work if left long enough

The most recent advancement in the removal of oil stains from concrete involves using special single-celled microorganisms that thrive on crude oil and its derivatives, eating them up like candy. Enzymes and oxygen digest the oil and turn it into carbon dioxide and more microorganisms. When the food source (oil) is gone, the microorganisms die, leaving the concrete clean and oil-free. This is the same technology used to clean beaches and waterways after large oil spills. Two sources for these microbial cleaners are ESI (www.esiclean.com) and KT Microbial Products (www.ktmicrobialproducts.com).

• Like 1

Just open the sump & let the contents dribble out overnight . 

It will be fine & look just like mine :t-up:

• Like 1

I've successfully cleaned up oil with washing up liquid, very hot water and a hard bristled garden brush/broom..... From the same sort of bare grey concrete floor.