Starter.motor troubles

Weekend Warrior

I had trouble with my starter motor a few months ago ,one of the threaded bars on the solenoid was loose and you had to wiggle it to get it going.

I drove it to our workshop where one of the fitters took it off and went to a motorfactors place and came ack with a new one which was a dud .To let me going he used some powder weld stuff round the nut and all was well,until now .It has packed up again ,I know it’s the same problem because if you tap the stud it goes .

As my mechanical knowledge is expanding and I’ve bought some tools , I’ve took it off .I can’t see any serial numbers on it and the sticker is worn so no info visible ,it’s off a 2.0 zetec blacktop .

How can I identify it  ?

Can you just buy the solenoid ?

Thanks 

Steve

8824C018-3179-417D-AC4A-682B1CD2590D.jpeg

267D0B14-D8CA-4A3B-84A6-679FDEFE23B0.jpeg

Have you removed the nut off the earth post by accident, or was there a chassis to engine earth connected to it?

As Kev asks, as its an odd starter. Although the earth is usually to the bolts on the flywheel housing.  Usually, you have a battery lead from the battery to it, a fly lead coming out to the starter motor and a small wire to bring the solenoid in, to crank the starter. I have done a search and found this :

Solenoid.jpg.54dfa7153b935300269fda091d04516d.jpg

Now, i am not saying that yours is the same, but its the same type. Best to check on what goes where. Its not tricky. My Blacktop to type nine used a ford CVH starter, if I remember correctly.

14 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Have you removed the nut off the earth post by accident, or was there a chassis to engine earth connected to it?

Hi Kev I’m new to this hands on mechanic thing {always used garages before the Bought westy} so I took all the nuts off in case the new starter came without any .

Is the earth post the one from the starter (copper wire) all three threaded bits had nuts on 

22 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

As Kev asks, as its an odd starter. Although the earth is usually to the bolts on the flywheel housing.  Usually, you have a battery lead from the battery to it, a fly lead coming out to the starter motor and a small wire to bring the solenoid in, to crank the starter. I have done a search and found this :

Solenoid.jpg.54dfa7153b935300269fda091d04516d.jpg

Now, i am not saying that yours is the same, but its the same type. Best to check on what goes where. Its not tricky. My Blacktop to type nine used a ford CVH starter, if I remember correctly.

Hi again Mr Thrusty ,

on my second picture the lead direct from the battery the thick one was top left ,the dodgy one causing the problem had a white and red single cable ( thin) and that was on the small one I’m pointing to.

The one on the bottom had two thicker brown ones on.

The car has a Dunnell engine in it would the starter motor came as part of the package with the sump flywheel and other bits ? 

Would blacktop to mt75 mean anything 

Red and white is from the ignition key to make the solenoid engage the starter. If you have problems with the battery post, either a new starter or find a repair shop to get a solenoid. The solenoid is pretty generic across the ford range, I would have thought.

30 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Red and white is from the ignition key to make the solenoid engage the starter. If you have problems with the battery post, either a new starter or find a repair shop to get a solenoid. The solenoid is pretty generic across the ford range, I would have thought.

Thanks Ian ,the battery post is good, the problem is with the ignition post because if I tap this one she fires up.when you say a repair shop what kind {do I just google solenoid repair shop }

The car was factory built then the previous owner sent the engine to Dunnell ,do you think they fitted the starter if it’s odd Why would this be

21 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Thanks Ian ,the battery post is good, the problem is with the ignition post because if I tap this one she fires up.when you say a repair shop what kind {do I just google solenoid repair shop }

The car was factory built then the previous owner sent the engine to Dunnell ,do you think they fitted the starter if it’s odd Why would this be

Starters will be standard stuff . Not sure on why the post for the ignition wire, usually its a crimped connection. Are these people near you 

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Greens-Starter-Motors-Alternators-413559548706814/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Starters will be standard stuff . Not sure on why the post for the ignition wire, usually its a crimped connection. Are these people near you 

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Greens-Starter-Motors-Alternators-413559548706814/

Thanks Ian ,My Daughter plays netball just round the corner so I know the area well ,I’ll phone them on Monday 

many thanks 

Steve