Career change?

Deanspoors

On 14/02/2018 at 09:20, Deanspoors said:

If Westfield supply me a full car to build I will happily make up an audio, video and paper build manual :d 

They would never have the parts available !!

21 hours ago, Deanspoors said:

I don't think there's going to be too much involved in fitting the chargers to be honest, basic 3 phase supply. As mentioned a group of large companies will get the contract to install them.

With the Carillion scandal and Capita appearing to be heading down their own hole, I suspect the Govt punting jobs to preferred large subbies is going to be MUCH more carefully scrutinised. BUT I do see a benefit in giving a country-wide job to a company with the ability to offer country-wide support. Doesn't mean it has to be a big company though. I work for a small company now but support clients and contracts across Europe, the Middle East, USA and best of all, The Caribbean... :d 

Buy a field by the coast and either open it as a campsite or if its near a reasonable attraction, use it as a carpark. Kaching kaching

Interesting topic this. I love my job as an aircraft maintenance engineer however when you're elbow deep in a toilet tank at 3am on a Saturday morning unblocking a pipe you do start to question career choice. I've no idea what else I'd like to do. I know a few lads I served my apprenticeship with ended up in motorsport engineering and aerodynamics which would appeal but maybe not pay as well.

One question I have aswell is what jobs are much better now than say 20 years ago? Apart from the obvious ones like mining etc as I'm constantly hearing from the older generations "job's not what it used to be"

As a side note my stepson has just qualified as a gas safe heating engineer and he is currently employed full time but the amount of calls he gets for work is unreal and suspect someone with the right work ethic could make a very handsome living.

8 hours ago, Chrisn01 said:

How about train driver or air traffic controller :0) 

Both are restricted if you have colour deficiency, like me.

I've started off by getting all my courses back up to date so I can always look into a similar sort of job. I'd love to get back into E&I commissioning if I can find a job.  

Wrong end of the country, and might be a little early, but have you considered approaching EDF wrt to commissioning on the Hinkley Point  C Power Station new build. Massive amount of civil works going on at present, but guess there will be a lot of commissioning preps. ongoing.

Just a thought.