Career change?

Deanspoors

15 minutes ago, syman84 said:

private installer of EV charges. get the certification now and then when companies start switching there fleet out you would be in a great position to offer the facilities and resources to be able to charge there new quite creeping death machines that you cant hear.

plus government have mandated this for highways to reduce range anxiety so its coming.

I think you'll find govt will (in the next 5 to 10 years) pass legislation that basically gives that job to one or two large corporate interests and prevents anyone else touching them, all under the guise of "health and safety" of course, but I reckon we'll start to see the media giving us horror stories about people dieing at charging points and blaming the private installers, so that we'll just roll over and accept it.

Mate was a gas safe engineer and it was the bits between jobs for boilers and bathrooms that he couldnt financially keep at it. Along with the regular re certification etc. Just sent 2 of our guys at work for a 2 yearly at 3k each. He is now training as a building controller at his local council offices and loves it. 

1 hour ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

But his colour blindness will rule that out, as it did for me. Even mild just kill's it stone dead. Does't affect daily life but you do notice it in extremes like trying to see a light about 2 or 3 miles away, you actually can't see the colour. 

As to a sensible answer, I'll give it some thought, buy me a beer when your back in the UK  :d

I'm guessing that was aimed at Russ as I'm not colour blind and I've seen the colour of his car :d

11 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

At your age if you are going to do anything do it now in a few more years you get too comfortable with a good wage coming in and the security that gives. 

Had a career change at 42 so he's got a bit of time yet :oops: 

8 hours ago, Route66 said:

As the saying goes, if you're job is taken over by a black box, better learn to fix the box.

I make the internet work. I'm hoping that isn't going out of fashion any time soon :devil: 

8 hours ago, TableLeg said:

I'm guessing that was aimed at Russ as I'm not colour blind and I've seen the colour of his car :d

It was aimed at me :(

9 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

I think you'll find govt will (in the next 5 to 10 years) pass legislation that basically gives that job to one or two large corporate interests and prevents anyone else touching them, all under the guise of "health and safety" of course, but I reckon we'll start to see the media giving us horror stories about people dieing at charging points and blaming the private installers, so that we'll just roll over and accept it.

I don't think there's going to be too much involved in fitting the chargers to be honest, basic 3 phase supply. As mentioned a group of large companies will get the contract to install them.

As a bit of an adventurist, and a rock climber I though maybe some sort of skilled (electrical/electronic/inspection) rope access might be an option. Plenty of wind farm rotor blades to be inspected nearby now.

9 hours ago, TableLeg said:

No, Dean unfortunately. I suffer as well and it killed flying as a career for me to.   Dean did pick up that I meant him. 

Sadly I can say that flying helicopters is not all that it is cracked up to be.....well not what I do anwyay.

And I am not sure the risk is worth the reward on the outside world.

I reckon my escape will be flying small planes out somewhere like Alaska

When Alaskan bush pilot looks like the safe option, you know you aren’t risk-averse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ajpearson said:

I reckon my escape will be flying small planes out somewhere like Alaska

It’s funny, my friend the pilot said something similar, though in his case, he thought, when the UK civil aviation side went downhill some years ago, if he hadn’t been approaching his fifties he’d given serious consideration to bush piloting in Africa.

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

When Alaskan bush pilot looks like the safe option, you know you aren’t risk-averse!

Be less risky then places Ive been too

When I went solo in a Cessna at Albert Witted Airport in Florida I thanked the control tower for their help during the day. Back came the response, N757VT, thanks for today’s entertainment. It appears my landings drew quite a crowd.

• Like 1