Career change?

Deanspoors

What would you be if you could start all over again?

At 31, I've been working offshore for the past 8 years, currently a Senior Systems Engineer, previously an Electrical Service and Commissioning Engineer, and before that a Electrical/Mechanical Maintenance Engineer. Offshore, has started to become much less desirable with salary and time off steadily decreasing. And whilst the job is still relatively attractively paid in comparison to working onshore, I have recently started contemplating trying to find employment onshore or even training in a new trade altogether. I'm currently working 5 week on/off rota so have the ability to look into self training / attending courses / business building, etc. in my time off.

So as a bit of fun and with a little bit of seriousness, what jobs would you consider?

Prerequisites are;

* Reasonably well paid

* Skilled / hands on preferential

* Self employed preferential

* Reasonable setup cost < 50k

* Enjoyable (Non monotonous)

Dean

Train to be a heli pilot for one of the offshore operators. More than £50k though. 

Electrician and plumber. You’ve already got the skills, just need to pass a few tests to get legal. No shortage of work for good ones of either trade, being able to do both would make you more in demand I’d think.

Heli pilot not a good shout at the moment, far too many highly qualified ex military types still in the market.

• Like 1

I looked into becoming a commercial pilot last year, but because I’m colourblind I had to do an advanced eye test down in London.. which I failed :(  I did contemplate becoming a plumber as the three I know make a small killing, but it appears the qualifications that actually mean something take a lot of time to get, never say never though, it’s a possibility. With regards to electrician, I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to pass Part-P and have done my 16th edition so 17th editions should be too taxing. 

2 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Build manual author for Westfield . There's a bit of work there to do !! :d

If Westfield supply me a full car to build I will happily make up an audio, video and paper build manual :d 

I trained as a mechanic in the 70's and always wanted to set up my own business. When I looked the cost was huge to do it right. A mate trained as a plumber and bought a blow torch and a van and made a good living without being too taxed work wise. I wish I had done the same.

If I was going to do anything now plumber would be my shout. To get Gas safe registered you need to train and pay but I know a couple of lads who never did any of that and still make a fortune as most call outs are toilets and sink leaks where you need no special qualifications. 

I know another who will install boilers etc. but gets everything signed off and checked by another gas safe engineer, there is just so much work about.

It does depend on where you live as to what you can charge, but when water is pouring through a ceiling cost is the last thing on peoples mind.

It is a low set up cost, chose what work you take, a lot is paid cash so little in way of debtors.

Some people are not wired to work for themselves, they need to be driven, well motivated and able to manage the ups and downs, like if you are ill, where does the money come from.

At your age if you are going to do anything do it now in a few more years you get too comfortable with a good wage coming in and the security that gives. 

• Like 1

I can recommend retirement. 

Plenty of time for the Westfield.

Grand kids are interesting and then go home.

Holidays outside term time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RussH said:

Train to be a heli pilot......

Exactly the same for me. Something i wish I'd done when i was younger.

As someone qualified in electronics and capable across many engineering disciplines, I love this sort of work, but you get treated like scum and the pay is poor (I could earn £5k-£10k more as a desk jockey).

I'd like to setup and work for myself, get my workshop properly equipped and do low volume high value stuff, but I don't have the space and I can't afford a bigger place without a career change into some sort of dull office job (which would in turn sap my motivation).

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Exactly the same for me. Something i wish I'd done when i was younger.

But his colour blindness will rule that out, as it did for me. Even mild just kill's it stone dead. Does't affect daily life but you do notice it in extremes like trying to see a light about 2 or 3 miles away, you actually can't see the colour. 

As to a sensible answer, I'll give it some thought, buy me a beer when your back in the UK  :d

It depend on age but it would be good for a youngster to train for a job that will still be around. Not sure about commercial or helicopter pilot, depends how quick full automation takes over. Commercial pilots pay has dropped pretty quickly, ask any Easyjet or Ryanair pilot. I had a work colleague who left mechanical project engineering and took the route through PPL, flying instructor, Air UK and BA. Finished his career as first officer with Virgin on 747. I guess spending a few days a month in Barbados with 10 virgins was OK.

I would say plumbing and electronics will always be safe. As the saying goes, if you're job is taken over by a black box, better learn to fix the box.

A friend did the whole train yourself as a pilot thing in the very early nineties, he initially fancied doing helicopter work, but when he looked into it, the costs involved doing it privately, compared to the sorts of jobs it gave access to was too much of a leap for him. (The problem wasn't so much the training, as getting the air hours that anything above the basic joy ride flight pilots tended to need, specially the better paid jobs - it was just too expensive at the time for a civilian.)

So he did fixed wing, it still cost him in the region of £30k to get trained to a point, and have the hours to get into a commercial flying position! He had ten plus great years with the big airlines but the 2000's onwards, less so. To few jobs with too many people chasing them, conditions and pay suffered for many.

He reckons today, he'd really have struggled to break into against the ex military guys and others who have just managed to log crazy amounts of flying hours. (This is all UK specific of course.)

private installer of EV charges. get the certification now and then when companies start switching there fleet out you would be in a great position to offer the facilities and resources to be able to charge there new quite creeping death machines that you cant hear.

plus government have mandated this for highways to reduce range anxiety so its coming.

• Like 1