Air Conditioning?

Andy_R

Been looking around Maverick and have found two of these fans in each of the footwells.

Any idea what they've been installed for?

The car went to the US on a road trip and I'm wondering if it's for cool air to be directed at the occupants feet?

TBH I'm expecting to have the p*ss taken out of me for missing something obvious so please be kind :d

IMG_6070.JPG

I'm sure Simon Haughton will be able to tell you.

failing that try Barry Ashcroft or Pete Billsberry they went on the USA trip as well.

Nice to see Maverick is still alive and well. I was support vehicle driver and followed her to her SVA.:yes:

• Like 2

On 11/02/2018 at 14:39, Thrustyjust said:

Uh-Oh , I see a nasty scotchlok blok ........................get rid asap.............

There are a few that I've noticed and they will be removed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Wood said:

Nice to see Maverick is still alive and well. I was support vehicle driver and followed her to her SVA.:yes:

Maverick is still a dream to drive and is looking stunning. Are you still in contact with the previous owner(s)?

Haven't come across Studbuckle (Simon Haughton) recently although I did a few tours with Simon and Carla back in the days.

She was built by a colleague of mine and I'm still in touch with him.

I'll drop him a line. It's been a while since I've caught up with him.:yes:

It would be great to hear from anyone who's been part of Mavericks life.

In regards to those fans ... do you know if they were installed for air flow / air con? 

Also do you know where the nickname Maverick came from? I'm guessing it's due to the number plate finishing MAV but was there a different reason for the name?

I would imagine the fans were to keep the footwells cool when driving through Texas. I can't quite get my head around exactly where they are mounted from the picture, though. I assume there's nothing behind them that they're actually cooling? Electronics, etc?

I think it was "Studbuckle" who came up with the nickname, indeed due to the number plate.

I will have a rummage tonight. I probably have some photos from the build somewhere... I remember spending a weekend stripping the donor engine down.

Cheers,

Kevin

58 minutes ago, Andy_R said:

It would be great to hear from anyone who's been part of Mavericks life.

Well, I followed Mav for a while on the 2005 coast 2 coast run.:)

5a82cd1fc48ea_Coast2Coast05017c.thumb.jpg.cda6afa2030eb9277e082055f4b86cfc.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Wood said:

I would imagine the fans were to keep the footwells cool when driving through Texas. I can't quite get my head around exactly where they are mounted from the picture, though. I assume there's nothing behind them that they're actually cooling? Electronics, etc?

I think it was "Studbuckle" who came up with the nickname, indeed due to the number plate.

I will have a rummage tonight. I probably have some photos from the build somewhere... I remember spending a weekend stripping the donor engine down.

Cheers,

Kevin

On the passenger side the fans are mounted on the left pointing downwards to where your knee/shin would be. There is nothing else there to cool and behind it is fibreglass. It's quite high up and not close to any hot objects.

Any photos would be fantastic.

Also I notice you are in Alton. I'm in Yateley & Farnham on a regular basis (that's where I'm originally from) and my parents are the Alton side of Basingstoke so if you fancy a beer in the warmer months (when I'll be bringing Maverick down South for a run) then let me know.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well, I followed Mav for a while on the 2005 coast 2 coast run.:)

5a82cd1fc48ea_Coast2Coast05017c.thumb.jpg.cda6afa2030eb9277e082055f4b86cfc.jpg 

Love the bucket and spade :sun:

Simon organised the 2008 Long Way North run which was a 2 day event starting in the peak district and finished at Berwick Upon Tweed, here is a pic at the overnight stop at Scotch corner, Maverick in the foreground and my first red westy 3rd from far end :)

mav1.JPG