Hello - Newbie questions

Seven Heaven

2 hours ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

Taking the IVA emissions testing into consideration, an option may be to stick to the standard Ford induction during the build and then swap to TBs post running in and IVA.  

From what I’ve read, you would need to swap them over every mot for it to pass the new rules. 

9 hours ago, Jim G said:

From what I’ve read, you would need to swap them over every mot for it to pass the new rules. 

you know that the IVA test will be precise and to the book, depending on your mot testers familiarity and friendliness towards Westfields and the like you may have a little more leeway.

I read the IVA thread last night, a little worrying.  So that got me looking into Duratecs as an option and they would appear to be within my budget if I go for a used one off ebay.  So the question is now what else would I need to fit it?  Type 9 gearbox with bellhousing or Mazda MX5 MK3 gearbox appear to be the two options.  I presume it wont fit with its standard injection and I will need to buy Throttle bodies, in which case will it still pass emissions?

Also which model of Westfield would I then need to order?  I was looking at the special editions, but presume I would need to go for a starter kit instead?  

Check out @Valentinik build thread. He used a chassis supplied by factory to suit the MX5 box - which bolts onto the Duratec. Probably the most sensible option. The chassis will be based on the one they now sell for the S2000 and the Sport 250 and you can choose the bodywork to suit your taste.

You can get 'crate' Duratec engines if you want to go for a new reg plate - not horrendously expensive and should all be well within a £20k odd budget.

Throttle bodies will pass IVA (as it stands) and pretty sure the proposed IVA nonsense won't affect a new-ish engine like the Duratec running a Cat.

21 hours ago, Seven Heaven said:

Zetec 2.0 with Throttle bodies 170BHP

Wide Track Suspension                                                                                  YES

Track Day Shock's (I assume these are the protecs)                                 YES (Protechs) but source from Matt at Pro-Comp Motorsport who re-valves and balances for our car weight)

Quick Rack? (not sure if this is necessary or not?)                                    YES for track use

13" Wheels with Toyo R888r 185 front and 205 rear (in the hope that these are more progressive than 15")   Probably although easy to swap later

LSD - I was thinking of not bothering with this to keep the initial build costs down and installing it later if necessary.  Is that feasible or is it difficult to change once the bodywork goes on?                                                                                                                      YES again for track use, big cost and hassle to swap out later on

Allow for a professional to set up the suspension when its all finished     YES, recommend BLiNK in Cheshire, not too far from you

Any advice will be gratefully received on any other options that I should ideally order at the outset.

Thanks 

Richard

To answer you original questions.  All my own humble opinion of course.

What kind of build space do you have?  If you've got enough space I'd buy the kit in one go. One trip to pick up, one hire of the van etc rather than in 3 or 4 stages.

If you're going to track it consider a full cage rather than the MSA bar/half cage option....

Also consider what dash / data logger setup (again for track) rather than spend twice and before you cut into your new dash

Big brake kit with bias bar, again more track focused but the bias bar needs to be locked off for IVA.

The list could go on and on, and there are lots of members more qualified than me to suggest stuff.

tbh, you just need to build the car you want to build. Once it's all done and dusted and on the road, you'll probably want to make some changes anyway.

4 hours ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

you know that the IVA test will be precise and to the book, depending on your mot testers familiarity and friendliness towards Westfields and the like you may have a little more leeway.

You won’t have any leeway on emissions no matter how friendly I’m afraid :( Also anyone building a new car with an old engine will have big problems..

Thank you for your responses but this forum is clearly going to be a bad influence :d

I started out thinking I wanted a Full Zetec Kit with around 150 - 170BHP, to try and keep costs and difficulty of build within my grasp.  However having read some of the excellent build threads here I'm now contemplating whether to try and go down the starter kit route with a used Ecoboost engine and try to build a Sport 250! 

Time for a reality check I think.  It's my first build and I don't have the knowledge that you all clearly have to be able to source the parts I need that way.

I think I will probably try and go down the Duratec route though to avoid future issues with emmisions.  I'm not sure if a standard 2.0 Duratec (fiesta ST150 engine) will go in with its original injection, or whether throttle bodies will be required, as that will save me quite a bit of cash, further research required.  It would also mean I could start out with about 150bhp, then once I've learnt how to handle that I can add TB's later to get 200bhp.  The other advantage over Zetec is that there appears to be plenty of options for more power after that, although I don't think my driving ability could handle more that 200BHP.  

Anyway, I clearly need to get to a meet and have a look at some of the cars first hand to answer some of my questions.  Does anyone know when the next meet in the North West will be so that I can tag along?

Also final question from me, does anyone have any pictures of the storage space in the FW rear?  I like the styling of it but does is sacrifice what little storage space the standard rear has?  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Seven Heaven said:

Also final question from me, does anyone have any pictures of the storage space in the FW rear?  I like the styling of it but does is sacrifice what little storage space the standard rear has?  

Dont have a picture to hand but it's a small space.

Here's the factory parts image.

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=891

Enough room for a tool roll, some other break-down essentials, like tyre slime, throttle cable etc.

Tbh, if it were bigger you'd just be tempted to stick more stuff (weight) in there.

IMHO worth the sacrifice for the shape....

Here's a pic I took at the factory some time ago. 

IMG_4650.JPG

4 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Here's the factory parts image.

Is it out of stock on a long lead time:p

• Haha 4

Thanks, that looks like it will be sufficient for a small bag  along with the emergency stuff you mention.  

I was hoping that it would be big enough to store a full face helmet as well as I am planing on going for a full roll cage.  So until someone comes up with a weatherkit that works with a windscreen and full cage I will also go with the aero screen and accept I will get wet if it rains.  That means a full face helmet and I would like to be able to leave the helmet with the car when I am out and about.  It doesn't look quite big enough for that though.  

But I agree I think the FW looks great, especially in that blue!

yes, nowhere near big enough for a helmet, not sure if any of the racing guys have a different solution. Chain and padlock around the seat slider handle perhaps?

I struggled to get a fuel can that fitted, ended up with a Rotopax behind the passenger seat.

Even the ZK boot won’t take a full face lid. 

I wear one every trip and just use a decent wire type chain and padlock to keep it safe. Never been a problem. 

Here the only picture I have of my boot box 

IMG_0540.thumb.JPG.92b9821f18a43655e50c389e48db00a1.JPG

As Craig said no way it will fit a helmet but it does fit a detachable steering wheel,

I put my helmet in the footwell then pass a bike lock though it & the steering wheel (if it's left on) then around the cage.

As Chris said, no standard boot box will fit a full face helmet, of either body style, FW or ZK.