French speed limit reduction from 1st July

Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - Treasurer

Speed limits on two-lane roads cut from 90kmh (56mph) to 80khm (50mph). Starts 1st july. 

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5255635/Speed-limit-lowered-250-000-miles-French-roads.html#ixzz56FAZHQak 

• Like 1

Will 6mph speed reduction make a dramatic difference in an accident? 12.5% reduction in momentum AFAIAA.

Governments short of cash increasingly looking to the motorist for funds?!

My brother lives in France and interestingly a lot of the speed control has been taken over by a private company. France has a lot of road deaths but there are many reasons but as usual it is easy to pick on speed and the money it generates.

What will happen here is the French will have a lot of leeway, foreign cars will get none and will cough up.

Of course it has been mooted about bringing UK speed limits on rural roads down from 60 to 50 mph to reduce accidents. This would add time to rural commuting journeys and I've known colleagues drive 40 miles to work in Edinburgh then 40 miles home at shift end.

I wondered if the limitations in autonomous vehicles safety, especially away from city grid layouts, are being realised and we are being prepared for a slower autonomous future of transport?

Could it be that UK plated cars might be targets because we are leaving the EU.

I was caught speeding in Belgium and the officer explained to me that they looked to catch Germans first, Brits second and then the rest. 

1 hour ago, Route66 said:

I was caught speeding in Belgium and the officer explained to me that they looked to catch Germans first, Brits second and then the rest. 

I'd have thanked the Belgian B*stard for that, then would have reminded him that if it wasn't for the Brits, he would be speaking German now....:d

• Like 1

I was fined in Belgium.   The Kennedy tunnel closed The satnaff alternative was go down the old tunnel in Antwerpen.   I was following a bus when the plod pulled me over into a specially made lay-by.  It turned out there was a weight limit and the GVW of the half empty van was to heavy for the tunnel.  200 Euro fine on the spot for several brits and Germans, As we stood watching Belgium lorries, and all sorts enter the darkness.  On the plus note they just tell you what you have done and take your card with a smile.     No lecture or intimidation like in the Uk.   

We all know why the casualty rate is so high .

Froggy drivers are all wino's , nowt to do with the speed :)

You could argue this has already happened in the uk but by stealth.  No end of old 60mph roads now seem to have random 40 and 50 limits applied.

20 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

We all know why the casualty rate is so high .

Froggy drivers are all wino's , nowt to do with the speed :)

Also worryingly  https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dozens-boozy-police-officers-put-9668392

French police up until 2011 were allowed a small glass of wine or a beer on duty (including CRS riot police) but this was banned.