Heater (or just ‘matrix’

CrisisWolf

Looking for heater unit. Got one. Works but somewhere/somehow it leaks coolant and it comes into he passenger footwell, slowly but surely. Weather it means all new heater, just matrix (so Im told, whatever that is) plus Im changing hoses too.

Photo of mine for reference.

Anybody got one? 

8100D13E-EA57-421C-A83E-043409180925.jpeg

The heater matrix is like a little radiator that fits inside the heater box. It's actually from an old BL style Mini, (the matrix, not the box it's in).

You can buy brand new all metal versions of the same matrix. They're slightly wider than the metal and plastic one you currently have, but with only a little adaption work can be made to fit.

On the other hand, I've got an old heavily butchered heater that you could take the matrix out of!

Forget it, I've just checked ebay, you can buy a replacement plastic/metal one for just under twenty quid, there's little point buying second hand with new available at that price! The all metal version is about £46.

These are the metal/plastic type http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mini-Rover-Mini-HEATER-RADIATOR-Matrix-1984-1992/171250702784?fits=Car+Make%3AAustin&hash=item27df5659c0:g:VkoAAOxycmBS824q

And these are the all metal. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mini-1968-1984-heater-matrix-SUPERIOR-metal-version-NEW-Made-in-the-UK/292412954507?fits=Car+Make%3AAustin&hash=item44152b978b:m:mOimMblyYAVP71mY5K6H7tw

Essentially I’d just need to widen the housing I guess? Now I can see what it is looks like its just the bottom part. Metal must be better? Guessing the plastic has cracked or something in mine causing a leak?

Guessing I could blank off the two coolant feeds somehow during the swap out and modifications?

thanks for the links.

The heater box that Westfield use has a sort of slot in one end, the matrix just slides into this and is trapped in place by foam rubber strips, (you can see them in some of the matrix adverts), attached to the end panels. 

My understanding from one of our ex-Cheshire members that did the swap, is that the metal matrix just sticks out a little further. He reckoned it wasn’t difficult to make fit, though.

The plastic end tanks on the basic unit are crimped to the metal core. In the all metal unit, the metal end tanks are soldered to the core. (I assume solder, it doesn’t look like Aluminium that’s been welded.) I suppose being all metal, it’s arguably a little more robust, but that shouldn’t really affect “our” usage!

I've fitted the metal version and I just had to remove all the foam packing around the original matrix and pack it slightly differently.

The issue with my original plastic / metal matrix was that there is a plastic plate that holds the hose connectors against O ring seals in the matrix and this is a bit feeble, allowing the connectors to flex, so it's possible that this could be improved. Fitting the all metal matrix resolves this issue as the hose barbs are an integral part of the matrix.

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin. Sounds simple enough and perhaps justified.

I want to take it apart as much as possible Prior to disconnecting the hoses and having to drain the coolant system. Make sure Ive got everything before committing.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.