The end of the F1 grid girls

Sparkymart

Surely men are the victims.  A pretty woman can though choice can extort cash from men for simply letting us poor sods see them.   Who’s been exploited?   

No ones shouting .. oi that’s not fare women are now  being promoted or given pay rises to meet quota not necessarily merit.  

Being a WASP is becoming an ever tougher gig. 

I think I tend to agree with the PC gone mad stance and that this is a hollow victory for the feminists at the expense of something (although I know what what) "better."

I do know a girl who has been a grid girl here in the UK. She enjoyed the work, was well paid and the money she earned was liberating. She didn't burn her bra's, she bought nicer ones... from Agent Provocateur. But I digress... :oops: 

For me, it was the BBC last week that focused my thinking with their pay equality issue. Rather than bring the women up to the level of the men they forced the men to take pay cuts. The girls claim victory yet seemingly don't have the wit to understand the result. They have pay equality. Well done. Did their victory raise up the girls to the level of the men? Not even close.. All they did was do the men over.

For the sake of discussion I am ignoring funding/budget of the BBC.

Imagine you, yes you were doing the same job as a girl but got paid more. How would you feel if the company, in pursuit of fairness, asked you to take a pay cut?  Better yet, is there a girl at work that gets paid more than you for the same job? Have you asked about pay equality? Will she take a pay cut for the sake of said equality? Imagine what the dungaree wearers reaction to that would be... :oops: 

It was the same with the pension age, many argued that it was wrong to have men retire at 65 and women at 60. So the age was raised to 65 for both, queue the howls of protest that that bit of equality is not what women want.

They're gonna be proper bagged off when they realise that retiring at 65 is pretty much a pipe dream for anyone under 50...

My niece did it over the summer holidays, to help fund the last year of her university studies. (Not F1, sadly, she’d have loved to have done that.) she’s also a mum of four, and has had a variety of very well paying jobs in the city for the last twenty years, having been head hunted by multinational finance and insurance companies a number of times.

Its funny, we texted about this earlier in the week. She said at least half the girls at the agency she worked for, which did general promotional stuff, not just motorsports, were in similar positions, working to put them selves through college or university.

When I was watching an interview the gird girl explained all this and more to the "spokesperson for the anti grid girl lot". She just said that is the problem you do not understand how demeaning this is to women because you are doing this for men.

And that is the problem a vocal minority is being asked opinions and then policies set. Liberties own poll said it was 60% in favour of keeping them so you know a large chunk of those supporting the ban were just jumping in because social media was used again.

At least the guy's at motor GP have said they will not get rid of them as they are part of the fabric of the spectacle.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:03, bunje said:

have you seen some of there proposed changes to the live coverage. such as playing music during the boring bits of the racing

In F1 that'll be 2 hours of music then.

• Haha 1

Also more outrage at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42960503  'Offensive' Tunnock's Tea Cake ad banned by regulator.

One person complained that the ad was sexist and objectified women.

The Advertising Standards Authority upheld the complaint because of its likelihood to cause serious offence.

What next?

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

The Advertising Standards Authority upheld the complaint because of its likelihood to cause serious offence.

What next?

Quite right ! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

Also more outrage at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42960503  'Offensive' Tunnock's Tea Cake ad banned by regulator.

One person complained that the ad was sexist and objectified women.

What next?

Poundlands "naughty elf" Christmas advert has been pulled up now..... where the elf is seen to be "holding a tea bag in a suggestive pose" !!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-4294674

The world is going mad!

I sure that I saw something about using 'grid kids' in F1 instead of the girls. Anyone see the potential problem with this!!! 

1 hour ago, Olliebeak said:

I sure that I saw something about using 'grid kids' in F1 instead of the girls. Anyone see the potential problem with this!!! 

I read the same thing about "grid kid's" and I did think the same thing ...!

Grid girls, lets be honest, they what they have to exploit men and to make money........ But who do they really harm??

On the flip side, a certain type of pretentious young office girls (who I have had MANY dealings with), they wear skimpy clothing, they flirt with the boss (usually some sad middle aged man who's wife is sleeping with the postman) to gain promotion, then eventually they reach a point where their lack of intellect won't allow further progression (usually something to do with marketing), let's call this.... I don't know.... The "glass ceiling" maybe?
Who do they harm?? Well they basically achieve limited success without merit, whilst holding back people from all backgrounds, race and gender, who have worked VERY hard and never got noticed, because the boss was two busy drooling over the eye candy.

At least grid girls were honest about what they do and I can respect that.

• Like 2