Speeding. 1mph over?

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

Britain’s leading traffic police chief is calling for a “dramatic” crackdown on speeding drivers. Chief Constable Anthony Bangham is calling for an end to “soft” treatment and for motorists to be punished even if they are just 1mph over the limit.

This is in addition to the general lowering of speed limits around the country. 50mph on the evo triangle and a proposed 40mph limit with average speed cameras on the Horseshoe Pass. The estate where I live is in the process of implementing a 20mph limit to replace the 30mph limit. The reason given is that at present the average speed in the cul-de-sacs is 24mph and the new limit will reduce this to 23mph, resulting in a 6% reduction in accidents and injuries. During the 39 years I have lived here I cannot recall one single accident. And the cost of this programme is £850,000. I wonder how they will recoup this cost?

I don’t condone excessive speeding but surely common sense must apply.

As Jeremy Clarkson once said, it isn’t only speed that kills, it’s running into someone.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more, and you live close to an area where I believe they have been doing this "no tolerance" nonsense for some time, under instructions from the chief constable, namely in North Wales.

I can't tell you what I think of him (the North Wales chief constable that is) because it would be caught by our anti-swearing filter. But it begins with an A!

The example you quote of your cul-de-sac is clear evidence of this.

1 hour ago, bollockybill said:

Britain’s leading traffic police chief is calling for a “dramatic” crackdown on speeding drivers. Chief Constable Anthony Bangham is calling for an end to “soft” treatment and for motorists to be punished even if they are just 1mph over the limit.

This is in addition to the general lowering of speed limits around the country. 50mph on the evo triangle and a proposed 40mph limit with average speed cameras on the Horseshoe Pass. The estate where I live is in the process of implementing a 20mph limit to replace the 30mph limit. The reason given is that at present the average speed in the cul-de-sacs is 24mph and the new limit will reduce this to 23mph, resulting in a 6% reduction in accidents and injuries. During the 39 years I have lived here I cannot recall one single accident. And the cost of this programme is £850,000. I wonder how they will recoup this cost?

I don’t condone excessive speeding but surely common sense must apply.

As Jeremy Clarkson once said, it isn’t only speed that kills, it’s running into someone.

Sounds to me like you have a local councillor or someone "influential" in your street, the complaint is probably noise rather than speed, but people associate the two very closely, £850'000 to deal with (for example) one young lad who drives down the road twice a day in a bazzed up Focus, is just ridiculous.

At a former employer the land owner installed huge speed bumps purely because I overtook some woman from the business next door (about 5 miles from work, she was doing 30 in a 60 limit), god knows what stories she came up with, but she basically felt she'd lost face by being overtaken and needed to punish me and the entire business park to make up for it, I can only assume she whined at someone influential until they got sick of her and did something.

As for the speeding thing, this has come up before and nothing happened. The problem on the roads is not speed, it's poor driving standards, to quote a magistrate I know "the problem with road safety is not speed, it's that everyone seems to have a point to prove".

Always a very emotive subject amongst petrol heads is this one - I think the pragmatic 10% +2 is a fair approach for 50/60/70 zones purely because any inaccuracy would increase with speed but 20/30/40 zones probably need a different approach but 1mph just way too draconian and would mean everyone would be in scope of a ticket .. including the local plod who overtook me in a 30 last week for no reason other than I was holding them up .. :rolleyes:

Personally in the daily driver I use my speed limiter assuming of course its accurate :d

6 minutes ago, Northwarks said:

Always a very emotive subject amongst petrol heads is this one - I think the pragmatic 10% +2 is a fair approach for 50/60/70 zones purely because any inaccuracy would increase with speed but 20/30/40 zones probably need a different approach but 1mph just way too draconian and would mean everyone would be in scope of a ticket .. including the local plod who overtook me in a 30 last week for no reason other than I was holding them up .. :rolleyes:

Personally in the daily driver I use my speed limiter assuming of course its accurate :d

Assuming you mean cruise control?

If thsi 1mph over thing did happen, anyone using CC would end up getting into trouble. Mine compensates for driving up a hill (as it should), but if the hill is only short it continues to accelerate over the crest, resulting in a 5mph overshoot and then on the downhill it backs right off and it can take a good 100yrds before engine braking brings it back to the speed limit.

I think it depends on the cruise control... I'm sure in my 1 series it applies the brakes.. The limiter is separate though, and simply trails off the throttle as you approach that speed. you can override it by stamping on the accelerator though.

The excuse behind it all was safety.. I think the core problem is the standard of driving. I cant remember the last time I went out (especially in Reading) and didn't see some halfwit nearly cause an accident. unfortunately that's hard to police... so instead they'll crack down on something that isn't the problem anyway!

Good too see another Fallout fan!

If someone is going to speed, they will speed. If you make a 40 a 20, they will still speed. So, signs as a general mean diddly squat in the real world. Had a pillock hurtle down our street this morning , which is heavy residential and a school, yet still tried to utilise his wing mirrors as wings to take off. I just lift my phone up and they think they are being recorded and the brakes soon come on !  As for the rozzers. I can see their point of view .Have a look at youtube and see what kind of morons are allowed to drive and how they ruin it for others. Sadly, they drive like that, they breed in a similar manner and carry on the stagnant gene pool. 

We all wish to go and enjoy our cars , dont get me wrong and cant say I drive with the halo glowing, but there is a sensible place to do it , while some cant grasp that in the tattoo'd hands.

• Like 1

I got caught out using my speed limiter (not cc) had it set to 32 so that it accounted for speedo over read and thus in theory I could not go over a genuine 30 unless (as mentioned) you boot it. 

So foolishly I kind of took it for granted until I got done doing 34 one day - going down a hill. 

23 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I got caught out using my speed limiter (not cc) had it set to 32 so that it accounted for speedo over read and thus in theory I could not go over a genuine 30 unless (as mentioned) you boot it. 

So foolishly I kind of took it for granted until I got done doing 34 one day - going down a hill. 

I think you cant beat good old fashioned hands on... If anything it keeps you more engaged!

That said cruise is a god sent for those long average speed 50 mph zones designed to protect people that don't work on motorways...

1 hour ago, Lyonspride said:

Assuming you mean cruise control?

If thsi 1mph over thing did happen, anyone using CC would end up getting into trouble. Mine compensates for driving up a hill (as it should), but if the hill is only short it continues to accelerate over the crest, resulting in a 5mph overshoot and then on the downhill it backs right off and it can take a good 100yrds before engine braking brings it back to the speed limit.

it has both cruise and speed limiter - as mentioned above the limiter allows you to accelerate up to the set speed then takes the throttle away from you unless firmly press to accelerate out of bother etc, crucially when you lift off you slow down,  I find it lets me concentrate on the driving and idiots other drivers but as pointed out above its useless downhill but it does give an overspeed warning  - cruise on the other hand will accelerate/brake to keep the speed - both have their uses, I tend to use the limiter for 20/30/40 and roadworks and cruise for longer trips. 

The Nanny Sate is simply going to get worse and worse for drivers. 

Imagine a system where the punishment fits the offence, and compare speeding near a school during the day and 95mph over the tops of the Evo Triangle at 5am where you can see the road ahead for miles.

Common sense and Traffic Police, I don't think so...

It seems car manufacturers tempt us with faster and faster cars whilst the speed limits get more and more draconian.  I feel sorry for the poor b*******s in 100 years time, all driving their battery powered boxes under the ever-present eye of the on-boad telemetry systems that will recognise any infringement, inform DVLA and your insurer then send a text to you and a debit to your bank account accordingly: all before you arrive home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vogalogue said:

I think you cant beat good old fashioned hands on... If anything it keeps you more engaged!

That said cruise is a god sent for those long average speed 50 mph zones designed to protect people that don't work on motorways...

I agree about remaining hands-on. The only times (2) I've nearly fallen asleep driving were on cruise on a motorway. Drive to the conditions and your attention is heightened.

Seems the 1mph rule has been aired before  http://www.palmerslaw.co.uk/articles/who-benefits-from-speeding-fines/ December 9, 2015--  So when news broke about plans to fine motorists for travelling as little as 1mph  over the speed limit as a means to raise funds for cash-strapped police forces, Downing Street stepped in to confirm that revenue from speeding fines would not go to the police.

From Daily Mirror 10 Jun 2016 https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/can-speed-cameras-trusted-driver-8155392  "Can speed cameras be trusted? Driver wins £2,000 police payout after being clocked at '85mph' when doing 29mph.  Lawyers say the error could mean the model of speed camera is unreliable- meaning tens of thousands could have been wrongly fined"

Gatso produced 85mph result for 29mph speed, in a 30mph zone, and was rightly successfully challenged but what if incorrect result had been 34mph? How many just pay up and take the points?

The 1 mph over rule would be a nightmare as Edinburgh rolls out city-wide 20mph zones; drivers would be looking at speedometer more than the road and likely be charged with 'driving without due care and attention'.

Might be a nice money-spinner for Government and how do you prove you are innocent?

I could just about stomach zero tolerance on speed if it was the same for everything else. Pi55 in the street massive fine, fall over drunk, massive fine but instead we are spending huge sums to provide care for those and ignoring burglaries.

Any crime should be zero tolerance but we have a stupid situation where assault someone with a glass get a fine, speed in a car get a huge fine even though no one was hurt.

What this will do is to drive a further wedge between good police officers who want to work with the community and protect people from crime. I know so many police officers who now feel they are seen as revenue collectors and are no longer trusted by the public.

One of the previous people who held this job and made the same stupid comments was Meredydd Hughes who was a do as I say guy but got banned for speeding. A previous one was the mad mullah from North wales Richard Brunstom who was fined for a car without tax. It seems to attract the sort of person who wants fame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7128548.stm

Bath spent £870k implementing 20mph speed limits. Since then the number of accidents and deaths has increased, possibly because pedestrians perceive the area to be safer and pay less attention.

However it will cost too much to revert so they have to leave it as it is!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/baths-20mph-zones-increased-deaths-942560

They have just put permanent 40mph average speed cameras all along the A217 near where I live. It's a two lane dual carriageway which in other areas would easily be 50 or 60mph.

Speeding is a victimless crime. Obviously if you hit someone you are charged with dangerous driving or worse. To me it is focusing on the wrong issue to look like they are taking action, when really we should get our priorities straight - improve driving standards, reduce mobile phone usage and crack down on uninsured drivers...