Pinto to Duratec (Again!)

JJBradders

A Zetec swap is marginally cheaper as your current bellhousing will fit. But the exhaust exits on the other side, so bodywork needs sorting (or fit flared side panels). 

As Russ said, bike itbs and megasquirt will be cheaper than Omex or Jenvey and bike itbs (as on my own car) are perfectly driveable and just as powerful. 

But Omex and Jenvey will be easier. You pays yer money ...

Zetec engine has the exhaust exit on the opposite side to a pinto or duratec. Zetec engines are cheaper both new and used but a much bigger job as the original wiring loom will need re-routing as your fuel pipes may well do to keep them from what will become the hot side of the engine bay. You will also gave a hole to fill where the pinto exhaust exits and a new one to cut for the zetec exhaust

Thanks for the advice again everyone, and for the Pinto EFi thread, really good read.

I'll still look into the swap to see what I can pinch/make in the Eng Dept here. 

Thanks again

Is the engine from an ST150 a "proper" Duratec, or is it the re-designed Zetec, as in the ST170? If it is the re-designed Zetec, then the exhaust will also be on the "wrong" side.

As the O/P doesn't want more power, just better fuel and drivability, surely fitting ecu and throttle bodies to the Pinto must be the way to go? And he will have the Webers and manifold to sell to offset the cost of the upgrade.

If you want a bolt on solution for the Pinto you could also look at the DanST range of bike conversion kits. 

https://danstengineering.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_84_164&product_id=1050

I use GSXR 1000 bodies and a DanST manifold & trumpets on mine. 

Once again, to save money, buy the parts individually and do the conversion work yourself (what I did). 

After looking at it,  suspect a Zetec swap would be better to do on a budget than a Duratec? Obviously I'm not set and haven't ruled out EFi on the Pinto - Especially with the Bike TB route.

But just to get more info - What would I need to keep and swap for a Zetec? I was hoping to keep the bellhousing and box, along with the silencer but mount it the other side of the car? 

I've got more time than money between uni so I don't mind sorting out stuff - Just mainly because I would be able to get hold of a complete Zetec from a breakers with the intake, injectors, ECU etc taken care of. Then it'd be sorting out the immobiliser and everything to get it to run I think?

Cheers

here's a list for a zetec

You can use:

Bellhousing
Gearbox
Some of the plumbing (radiator maybe)
Exhaust Pipe (maybe)

What you need:

Clutch
VERY expensive sump
Flywheel
Hoses
Wiring mods
Starter
Inlet manifold
Exhaust manifold
Alternator Mounts
Alternator Jockey wheel (for Blacktop)
(ECU, ITBs, Trumpets, Backplate and FIlter, Fuel Pressure Reg) or a world of pain converting the stock ECU
New fuel lines for return feed
Mods to tank
Much, much more wiring
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Engine Mounts
New steering column if going OEM

AND - fix the bodywork or fit flared side panels

I'm sure I'll think of more...