Pinto to Duratec (Again!)

JJBradders

Hi all

Recently bought a really nice pinto engined SEiW and looking to replace it for a Duratec ST150, which appears to have been done before.

I was thinking of using the original ST150 ECU, intake manifold, injectors etc and bolting it up to the Type 9 box already in the car.

Does this sound reasonable? Been trying to work out a list of what I'll need, but mainly I want to reuse as much of the Pinto stuff as possible as it's all great quality (cooling system for example - just reroute some of the hoses?)

Cheers!

Anything is doable on a Westfield. You need to think about engine mounts, exhaust manifold, bell housing to match type 9 box, fuel delivery changes from tank to feed injectors rather than carbs, clutch changes ( maybe cable to hydraulic), engine position to clear alternator and steering column, maybe a dry sump system? etc etc

Just remember that the engine is the cheap bit. 

Once you tot up all the bits you need to get it to fit (as per Terry’s post) it might surprise you. 

Using the OEM ECU will certainly be less costly than an after market item, but not easy. Remember the OEM item will expect to “see” a load of inputs you simply won’t have. 

What is fuelling the Pinto? You may be able to use that with a new manifold.

Also do you have a wide (MT75) tunnel? If not it might be a difficult install.

As said, anything is doable - but generally the easier it is, the more it costs. Expect to shell out £2k or more on top of the engine for an easy job.

Depends on what the cooling capacity of the pinto car is also, in relation to the power the Duratec will make. If an engine makes 130 bhp, which is generous on a pinto, then 160 bhp on a Duratec 'could ' push its ability. Its not a big issue , but it maybe best to look deeper into the conversion, of which I know of a mate who did his. Alos, its more expensive that you think, as you will need a sump kit, a bellhousing kit ( if you have a type 9 box) . He went throttle bodies on his, but you will also need a manifold , flywheel and clutch etc etc . So, anything is possible , but best to look at retroford or similar for their conversion kits to help. As for ecu, then its so much easier using a stand alone ecu like an Emerald , as you wont have immobilisers and other nightmare wiring to have to deal with. Altogether, a great conversion, but not a cheap one to undertake.

Basically the reason for wanting to do it is to get a bit more economy (not in the spirit I know, but is my only car) and I wanted to shift to EFi to solve this. Currently running twin Webers (DCOEs) with a dyno print out at 150hp (150.9 from memory?) Would it be a better bet to go an OMEX ECU and Weber style TBs? Not looking for any more power.

Cheers!

As I said it will be much easier to get a bolt on kit from the likes of Omex. But your pockets need to be deep as that’s a good £1800 by itself, then the sump at £400 odd, bell housing at £250, mapping at £300. Plus clutch, mounts, exhaust, alternator mounts etc etc.

It can be done cheaper using bike throttle bodies and a megasquirt for example.

Not trying to put you off, just trying to make you aware of the cost of going down the rabbit hole :d

you will get a good 185-190bhp from a Duratec on throttle bodies though and it will probably be more economical than Webers. 

Or if you mean fit fuel injection to the Pinto, then it will save the other costs - and later you can use the kit on a Duratec. 

I recently bought Omex new from Northampton Motorsport. They gave a 10% discount for me being a wscc member. Would recommend this option as I looked at secondhand ecu, but price was close to what I paid new, with warranty. Call it peace of mind for what was a £60 difference in price, new against secondhand. 

OMEX seems overkill for a Duratec conversion that he's trying to keep the costs down!

Megasquirt would be absolutely fine for the application and massively less costly.

Using the original ecu is fraught with problems and potential reliability issues. It needs the original vehicles ignition barrel transponder and key to unlock the immobiliser. I'm told you also need to fool it into believe it is running the for alternator and then you will have to find all the other sensor inputs jncluding doors, boot etc.. There was a guy over on locust site who achieved it but honestly a motorsport ecu will be much much easier and ultimately more relible.

If you are really serious pm me and i'm happy to talk you through the challenges i have encountered so far on my pinto to duratec swap especially if you have an early chassis with a narrow tunnel as the engine is a very tight fit.  If i had known before i bought my engine the challenges with this conversion, i probably would have bought another westfield

2 hours ago, JJBradders said:

Basically the reason for wanting to do it is to get a bit more economy (not in the spirit I know, but is my only car) and I wanted to shift to EFi to solve this. Currently running twin Webers (DCOEs) with a dyno print out at 150hp (150.9 from memory?) Would it be a better bet to go an OMEX ECU and Weber style TBs? Not looking for any more power.

Cheers!

See here for an idea of what a swap to EFI involves- perfectly doable on the pinto 

Will have a read, thanks people!

I just want something fairly cheap to work, as I'm merely an impoverished student at the moment... Assuming the Zetec swap is no cheaper? 

Thanks again for the help, you guys really are great!

3 minutes ago, JJBradders said:

Will have a read, thanks people!

I just want something fairly cheap to work, as I'm merely an impoverished student at the moment... Assuming the Zetec swap is no cheaper? 

Thanks again for the help, you guys really are great!

All very similar in conversion other than you can use the same bellhousing as you have , but the exhaust exits the passenger side. You could look Ford Sigma, which is a 1600, but dont dismiss it. It will go very well. But you still need a sump, clutch, ecu, manifold , inlet system etc. Its all expensive and not a ten minute job.