bike tyre help?

dombanks

my experience of bikes of the pedal variety is a health loathing of riding mine into work but i know its doing me good and the extra 2 miles a day ive added moving =another pint in the pub .

but my new ride has some bad roads and I've acquired a puncture..I found a bit of sharpe stone/glass has put a small slice into the tyre (~1mm). as its down to the webbing should i replace the tyre, its only the front one. if it were a car you'd get it fixed.

The short answer is yes, although there are practical things you can do to keep going with the tyre if they are new and reasonably expensive. As long as you place something protective between the inner tube and the tyre wall you should be ok to keep using it - needs to be thin and flexible enough to allow the tyre to do it's thing while still preventing the inner tube from pressing through the hole. A cut to size piece of thin plastic, similar to a takeaway tub lid, should do. Should only be considered a temporary repair though, you'd be surprised the amount of wear that will occur quite quickly once a slit opens in a tyre.

But depending on what type of bike it is and where you ride it, tyres are pretty cheap, so for the purpose of safety and avoiding repeat blowouts, I'd be tempted to just replace the tyre. Fit slime tubes while you're at it. 

I usually repair my mtb tyres with superglue in the cut and some gorilla tape on the inside/ and stitch with nylon string . I do use tubeless with sealant, so any reasonable holes, do need to be fixed, or they wont hold air. Anything that size is fixable.

"Run flat" tyres are available for push bikes. And this video talks about making bicycle tyres puncture proof....

tl:dw :d 

I've commuted for years on my bike and I don't bother doing anything to the tyre I'll be honest. I have puncture resistant tyres but glass does get through on occasion. 

I make sure it's out of the tyre, patch tube or if feeling flush a new tube.... on we go. The odds of hitting that spot must be slim surely. 

This is on a road bike. 

Cheers

decent tyres with punchure pretection makes a serious difference.   For my road bike I used gatorskins in the summer.   4season in the winter.   Since my mountain bike never sees mountains I have schwable marathon tyres on it.    Other tyres are available!        In the distant past My wife and I cycled up a tow path after the farmer had been hedge cutting hawthorne.    The outcome was!    Something like 15 punchures between the wife’s bike and my front tyre.   Nothing in my schwable rear.   We spent the afternoon in a pub beer garden gluing patches.  Then got a taxi home :)

On 1/30/2018 at 10:11, DamperMan said:

We spent the afternoon in a pub beer garden gluing patches.  Then got a taxi home :)

Because you were drunk or hammered from glue fumes? :oops::getmecoat: 

I ended up just buying a new tube as it was as cheap as a repair kit and another gatorskin it was only 25 online although very amusing the size of the delivery box