Brake master cylinders and balance bar

Tim Reid

I'm converting from tandem to twins and need as sort and stubby as possible as I'm fitting and ecoboost engine which exhaust exists the turbo very close.

I have standard Westfield (high spec) calipers so looking for 0.625" for the front and 0.7" for the rear.

What has anyone got before I buy from a retailer?

On 1/27/2018 at 21:10, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

I'm converting from tandem to twins and need as sort and stubby as possible as I'm fitting and ecoboost engine which exhaust exists the turbo very close.

I have standard Westfield (high spec) calipers so looking for 0.625" for the front and 0.7" for the rear.

What has anyone got before I buy from a retailer?

Hope you had a moment and you meant 0.625 on the rear and 0.7 on the front...

And I also will advice you to go to 0.75 in the front.

Even with 0.625 and 0.75 in my car... you are already locking in the rears al less that 5 half turns... (2.5 turns), with 0.7 the edjustment will be fairly inexistent if your car have a balance similar to mines...

1 hour ago, maurici said:

Hope you had a moment and you meant 0.625 on the rear and 0.7 on the front...

And I also will advice you to go to 0.75 in the front.

Even with 0.625 and 0.75 in my car... you are already locking in the rears al less that 5 half turns... (2.5 turns), with 0.7 the edjustment will be fairly inexistent if your car have a balance similar to mines...

I was told by two people to use 0.625 on the front and 0.7 on rear.

See thread...

You've got me worried now. Are you running the same brakes?

@Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

I May have done some assumptions, but is all about travel and caliper size.

When smaller is the cilinder, more travel will be needed to achieve the same displacement in the caliper's piston, but more pressure will be applied to the pads for the same ammount of force in the pedal. (long travel high sensitivity pedal//soft).

When bigger is the cilinder, less travel to achieve the same displacement in the caliper's piston but less pressure will be applied to the pads for the same ammount of force in the pedal.  (short travel very firm pedal).

Assuming you are with std ford(or golf) 1 pod rear calipers and 4 pods front, I would definitely put the smaller cilinder to the rear to even the travel in both cilinders and balance the force transferred to the rear with the clevis bar.

If you are with the same sort of calipers rear and front, In the best scenario, I would be going for same size cilinders to have same travel, and using the clevis bar to transfer the force further forward or backwards.

I may be SUPER wrong, I’m not an expert in brakes, but I’m pretty sure that smaller size cilinders to Bigger front brakes… isn’t the way to go, as displacement in the pedal will be massive, compared to the rears.

19 hours ago, maurici said:

@Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

Assuming you are with std ford(or golf) 1 pod rear calipers and 4 pods front, I would definitely put the smaller cilinder to the rear to even the travel in both cilinders and balance the force transferred to the rear with the clevis bar.

I'm using standard Westfield high spec calipers front and rear so 4 pistons and two pistons.

I see your theory but seems odd that two people have advised the other way round. What do you have fitted?

15 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

I'm using standard Westfield high spec calipers front and rear so 4 pistons and two pistons.

I see your theory but seems odd that two people have advised the other way round. What do you have fitted?

Wilwood dinalyte in front

Golf calipers in rears

0.75 wilwood master in the front

0.625 wilwood master in rears

Pretty sure about that as i changed the front one last week that was leaking and was a nightmare to find the same oldscool integrated reservoir in 0.75 and ended buying it in the states.

With that i have a wide range brake bias distribution, and it works as you would expect.

I'll recheck on the original thread. Should be an issue to swap them if needed.

As per the other thread... Smaller on the front is normal.

Also confirmed by Titon... 1min 30... 

Glad I was wrong (and Im super suprised with that, but thanks good Im not very good in brakes) and also Glad my system works perfectly despite being the other way around. :) 

yeahh... I do know my stuff there. :)

Clearly not in brakes... What makes me think how my brakes are so awesome if they are wrong...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.