Solid tonneau covers

Stephen W

Yes they do , I made the mould using Tom's car , drop them an email I think @NDS is in America at the moment

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, but if your planning on using it in some form competing then check the regs as there may be something about having to use flexible tonneau. 

then that starts a whole other debate  :d  

I wanted a tonneau for lower air drag and sewed one together using ripstop nylon like a tent is made from. It has very little stretch so you can set it up to be drum tight. As shown it weighs 3 ounces or about 80 grams. It's not solid but it controls the air well and weighs almost nothing.

dave

DSC_6539.jpg

DSC_6541.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davemk1 said:

I wanted a tonneau for lower air drag and sewed one together using ripstop nylon like a tent is made from. It has very little stretch so you can set it up to be drum tight. As shown it weighs 3 ounces or about 80 grams. It's not solid but it controls the air well and weighs almost nothing.

dave

DSC_6539.jpg

DSC_6541.jpg

That is brilliant, Dave

1 hour ago, Davemk1 said:

dave

DSC_6539.jpg

DSC_6541.jpg

That’s ideal too. 

Make another and send it to the UK please haha! 

Just consider the danger in having a hard/solid tonneau.  A sharp edge just about the height and close to your of your throat or shoulder should you have a hit from the side.  Better go for something flexible, doesnt take much for you to bump into that thing if you go sideways on the track or something :)

I have an aerodynamix one in fibreglass, bought from Julian a while ago. I wanted one in carbon, but couldn't get one so wrapped mine in carbon vinyl.

Highly recommended combined with the half doors for helping with flow, and regarding racing with it, it has a return edge going 90degrees downwards. Certainly not a sharp edge. I originally made one out of ally, that concerned me regarding impact issues.

I have had it scrutineered at multiple circuits around the UK and never had any issues or questions about safety etc.

It is currently held on by 2 bolts in the rear harness holes and 2 bolts under the aero screen in the scuttle which hold the front down as it is slid onto them using elongated holes in the cover, as access is tight to fix them under the screen.

Hope this makes sense.

Lee