Sir Stirling Moss to retire from public life.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

Who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?

How many have heard that from the long arm of the law? And now Sir Stirling Moss is to retire from public life.

Acknowledged as one of the best drivers of all time and one of the greatest F1 drivers never to win the drivers’ world championship. He famously lost out on the F1 title in 1958 to countryman Mike Hawthorn after vouching for his rival and preventing him being disqualified when he was accused of reversing on track in the late-season Portuguese Grand Prix.

And his drive on open public roads on the Mille Miglia averaging over 100mph was outstanding.

A true British legend.

Great post mate and a true legend. My nipper has met him several times in his line of work.

funny story. My sister had a boyfriend many moons ago who got stopped in his avenger tiger after a bit of spirited driving and was asked the same question....who do you think you are, Stirling moss?

his reply, no, I'm graham hill, nearly got him in bigger trouble, until he got out his driving licence to prove that was his actual name lol...

mart.

Met him a few times , always a gent , this one at the Aintree 50th anniversary meeting , long ques wanting autographs  

aintree 50th aniversary 054.jpg

Remember when he did the Touring cars in an Audi with Martin Brundle?

stirling and martin at oulton.jpg

At an early Goodwood FOS when drivers wandered around, I went to the loo and was between Sir Strirling and John Surtees ( who should have been knighted) at the urinal. Both were very pleasant men.

Last time I saw Sir Stirling he looked frail. He never looked quite the same after falling down his lift shaft at home and last year he was in hospital for a long time which has taken it's toll on him.

A great driver and man who loves meeting people, it will not have been easy for him to make this decision,