TableLeg

Front wiring loom earthing? Lights, horn etc...

Can anybody please tell me does the Westfield loom have any chassis earth points for the front half of the wiring loom, specifically in the area of the front Lights, indicators, horn, cooling fan.

Thanks

:yes:

Mine certainly doesn't. All earths are on the stud on the rear, nearside diagonal chassis member in the engine bay.

Nope, all the loom earths run to the same point on the chassis above the passengers feet (RHD). The factory recommend to connect the batter negative to the bolt for the steering rack. Others have used the bolt for the brake pipe Tee above the battery. There's nothing stopping you making your own earth connection at the front of the chassis if you wish. I'd recommend drilling a hole and using a nut and bolt rather than using a rivsert. Don't forget to clean all the powder coat off to ensure a good connection they cover all with contralube to prevent moisture/corrosion.

Thanks all:yes:

I presume therefore the main loom must split the ground wires to each component in the loom rather than running a single wire for every component?

I have my battery under the scuttle. Main ground wire connects to steering column bolt which is where all the other grounds are, the chassis earth stud by the passenger football connects an earth cable to the engine.

I could unwrap the loom along the side of the chassis/engine bay and add extra grounds in there. Probably best.

8 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I presume therefore the main loom must split the ground wires to each component in the loom rather than running a single wire for every component?

Most (or should I say many) earths are daisy chained. 

6 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

It does indeed, you'll find some 'lump's in the loom where they are connected together.

6 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I have my battery under the scuttle. Main ground wire connects to steering column bolt which is where all the other grounds are, the chassis earth stud by the passenger football connects an earth cable to the engine.

I could unwrap the loom along the side of the chassis/engine bay and add extra grounds in there. Probably best.

Could you not fit a form of earth bar at the front and feed additional earths from that point ?

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

Could you not fit a form of earth bar at the front and feed additional earths from that point ?

This is what I’d go with, much neater solution. :yes:

Thanks again ALL.... :yes:

Option 1, I could easily connect the earths for the lights all directly to the front brake Tee piece stud.

Or Option 2, I'll unwrap the loom where it passes along the chassis rail back to the chassis earth stud near the footwell panel and run some extra earth wires in.

But unless there is an electrical reason not to, option 1 sure would be easier.

The only thing I’d say, is that kit cars and earth issues are synonymous, and the more individual earth points you have, the more likely you are to have an issue. And if you do have an earth issue, with multiple earthing points, they tend to be the weirder ones and can be trickier to find, as stuff may work unexpectedly. Also note it can be a real pain if using some digital dashes etc that have three wire Voltage measuring sensors, as you can get lots of different voltage offsets on the grounds, from all the different termination points around the car.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Also note it can be a real pain if using some digital dashes etc that have three wire Voltage measuring sensors, as you can get lots of different voltage offsets on the grounds, from all the different termination points around the car.

Oh yes. Causes no end of headaches! Learned this one the hard way 

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Oh yes. Causes no end of headaches! Learned this one the hard way 

I'm hoping that wont be an issue as all the earths for the Dash2 and Ecu are connected to the underscuttle earth point.