Oil catch tank/breather

Jim G

Looking for a baffled oil catch tank with 2 breather pipe inlets and a K&N type breather that isn't silly money. Whats everyone using?

Mine isn't baffled but that's never been an issue for me. Mine is a 1 liter water bottle with a screw off top with a filter attached to the top and it's held to the chassis with a hose clamp. I needed a full 1L bottle for my racing class and this fits the bill.....it weighs almost nothing, you can see if anything is in there and it was nearly free as the bottle had been left at a race last year and I found it on the ground. Plus it's orange and matches the car. You can see it on the right side just in front of the header.

dave

DSC_6577.jpg

• Haha 1

As Dave says about racing. If you are using it for this reason you will need a larger one. Zetecs dont breath much , so I used a £30 jobbie ( well it was when I got it) from Car Builder Solutions and bought a small filter , drilled the top and screwed it in.

5a586a9924864_95Oilbreatherlocation.thumb.jpg.cde839b82c35a1e7f4977beb89864de1.jpg

9 hours ago, Davemk1 said:

Mine isn't baffled but that's never been an issue for me. Mine is a 1 liter water bottle with a screw off top with a filter attached to the top and it's held to the chassis with a hose clamp. I needed a full 1L bottle for my racing class and this fits the bill.....it weighs almost nothing, you can see if anything is in there and it was nearly free as the bottle had been left at a race last year and I found it on the ground. Plus it's orange and matches the car. You can see it on the right side just in front of the header.

dave

DSC_6577.jpg

The Catch can looks ace. Do you find much in it? I presume you run without the coil pack cover to save weight.

Your ceramic coated exhaust manifold looks well. I assume it's the factory provided one. Who coated it and how many miles has it done? given mine has cracked twice and needed welding, I'd be reluctant to coat my current one and if / when it cracks again (my welder suggests the grain is in the wrong direction for the bend), I was considering going to mild steel. Coating that may help.

I was using the plastic bottle solution as per Dave, but it started to get a bit tatty so have "upgraded" to a £20 one off ebay.

5 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

The Catch can looks ace. Do you find much in it? I presume you run without the coil pack cover to save weight.

Your ceramic coated exhaust manifold looks well. I assume it's the factory provided one. Who coated it and how many miles has it done? given mine has cracked twice and needed welding, I'd be reluctant to coat my current one and if / when it cracks again (my welder suggests the grain is in the wrong direction for the bend), I was considering going to mild steel. Coating that may help.

Thanks.

I never get any oil in the catch can.....depending on the temperature I'll get a few drops of condensation but that's it. I've never had to empty it.....or even clean the inside.

Yes - I personally have no use for a decorative cover that weighs 3/4 of a pound. I'm doing everything I can to keep the weight of the car as low as I can so the cover hangs on the wall.

I got my headers ceramic coating done at a place here in the USA called "Swain Tech Coatings" and I've used them for about a year or 4000 miles give or take. They aren't as bright white as they had been but still look great. They really seem to do a good job with the temperatures too - I can touch the header within a minute or two of shutting the car off. It's pretty weird actually but seems to work.

dave

• Like 2

I just ordered one of these from ebay. It is supposedly baffled although I wouldn't put much stock in that for the price. I'll be using both ports as inlets with filter on top, I'd prefer to connect it back to vacuum but not without a proper baffled can which would be more expensive.

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

I just ordered one of these from ebay. It is supposedly baffled although I wouldn't put much stock in that for the price. I'll be using both ports as inlets with filter on top, I'd prefer to connect it back to vacuum but not without a proper baffled can which would be more expensive.

Looking at the pics on the ebay add the baffle shown(It's a plate with big holes in!) won't help condense oil of of the vapour, hence I'd not connect mine back to the inlet. What's your thoughts around plumbing as per design- reducing oil consumption etc?

I fill mine with steel wool pan scourers ;)

Gives the vapour something to condense over, seems to work a lot better then when it was just 'baffled'

@IanK (Bagpuss) I saw that photo, it made me more comfortable using both ports as inlets as I don't feel either side is any more baffled than the other :d although the baffle plate can be unscrewed to add some foam or steel wool as @toys4x4boys says.

If the can isn't being connected back to the intake then baffling just isn't really needed. It's only needed to condense vapours which aren't wanted in the combustion chamber. 

As for oil consumption, there's not much that can be done... the F20C PCV system was designed to accommodate a certain lateral G, which we can exceed. Performance CCV systems (usually with a dry sump providing an oil circuit to tap into) use a swirl separator to remove the blowby gases and retain the oil to feed back into the system.

No baffles in mine and like Dave, us Honda engines have a little moisture and a miniscule oil in there. Zetecs , if set up right wont breath . I think i used to get 20ml every thousand miles. If you get loads of oil in a tank, then the breather is either done wrong or you have a massive problem. You dont need baffles . Mines just a collection tank, which them vents to atmosphere. I fitted mine at the front of the car, as my last car was on the bulkhead. This then gave unpleasant smells , which when I built this car was definately fitting it further from my nose. My thought was that any smells would then be pulled into the filter and got rid of that way. It doesnt smell at all .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a a cheap 0.5l eBay job and baffled it myself using folded sheet aluminium and wire mesh, held in place with a special epoxy resin..... I've also been considering trial fitting a peltier cooler to the exterior to keep it cold and collect more vapour.

4 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

I bought a a cheap 0.5l eBay job and baffled it myself using folded sheet aluminium and wire mesh, held in place with a special epoxy resin..... I've also been considering trial fitting a peltier cooler to the exterior to keep it cold and collect more vapour.

I'd go to the local BOC and pour liquid nitrogen over the tank before each drive . Any moisture will turn it into ice and it then wont evaporate :d