Tyre Advice

BugMan

Use 195/50/15s instead.

Edited to add, didn't realise it was an 8J rim.

Perhaps google "Toyo"

At least then you'd miss all the references to dogs from the Wizard of Oz and pop groups who sang Africa.

Oh, and Proxes.

try

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&sowigan=So&one_size=205|50||15&Speed=&Marke=Toyo&profil=Proxes+R1R&ranzahl=4&search_tool=standard&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&tyre_for=PKW&suchen=Show+tyres

• Haha 1

I have had 195 R1Rs fitted to my TD 1.2 7" rims for nearing 10k miles road, track days and sprinting - absolutely fine! Ran 185 soft compound sprint tyres without overheating except on longest tracks where had reruns without time for tyre to cool a bit.

Won't necessarily get more grip going wider as larger area = less weight per square cm. It comes down to combination of tyre compound/contact patch/car weight to get tyre in best temperature operating window. Wider tyre in same compound may not heat up enough to get there. Too narrow may get too hot under hard use. Also if you're ever out in the wet wider will aquaplane a lot more.

Our Westfields are lighter than average cars used for tyre specs, so imo we can run narrower and achieve optimum grip.

I suspect many go wider for bling/looks rather than known performance enhancement! :popcorn:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought four R1R in 205 x 50 x 15 from Demon Tw last September at £338. Best price I could find at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of news, they are now on order, hopefully delivered Friday this week from a eBay of all places

• Like 1

That's what I did with mine when I got them..made a lovely smell of rubber in the house...

They don't look so new now after a few hard track days...