Quick Dyno run!

Snappy

Like many of us I am sure I wasn't alone in wishing to know just what power my car produces?

I had been promising to get it done for about two years without success!  Well I decided enough was enough I called  one of my customers and asked if he was free to do it the next day, he was a bit busy but said if I got there early we could wiz it through a quick power run over a cup of tea.

I arrived and it went on the dyno with no ground clearance issues etc and was strapped with cloths to protect the paintwork!!

It was a little bit embarrassing as I removed and the bonnet and I showed them around the engine bay when Gordon noticed a broken wire! Air flow sensor disconnected, the shroud on the wiring was run all the way to the sensor which meant any movement was taken by a very small area of the wire thus broken. Luckily for me Gordon had the exact weather shielded connector so set about rewiring it and making sure it was routed with a little more room to move. doh

Next we did a simple power run and all were a little surprised it produced what it was supposed to! Gordon commented it was probably the best standard zetec he'd seen, though he did comment it was probably the exhaust which makes the difference over a focus.

The main point for me is not the numbers but to have a baseline test to know where I started, I have had a set of Omex throttle bodies waiting to go on for a year now but did'nt want to put them on until I had those figure so I can see the benefits from my future mods.

My car just for info has a 2.0 zetec with standard injection and currently has around 5000 miles on it. 

Thanks to Gordon for the help. I paid Gordon £50 for the power run and fixing the wiring, he did ask for less than that but he often too cheap!    http://www.streetracersgd.co.uk/  

west.JPG

Thats about right for a Zetec. Have you a cat in the exhaust ? A good one with throttle bodies is 175 to 180 bhp , so thats what could happen with just changing them. I had 180 bhp on my old Westie with a 2 ltr blacktop at Northampton Motorsport. The engines are great and shows how they are strangled in a production car.

• Like 1

As discussed in a previous post the point of the dyno run is to have a baseline to work off.

The company I used I know them and they are local to me which makes it easy to nip back and check the differences, also for very little money they have said when I fit the throttle bodies I can go back and they will run through the map to see if it needs any tweaks. Omex said to me their supplied map is 95 percent there and you don't need to get it mapped but there are gains to be had with soon fine tuning to that particular vehicle. The way I look at it is if your spending the money on an upgrade like throttle bodies you may as well spend a small sum to get the best out of it.

Other things I have heard people doing is having switchable maps for noise etc?

In regard to whether I have a cat in the exhaust I don't know, the kit was delivered in 2011, so not sure whether it did or not!!

That looks nice and healthy and a great idea to get a baseline run before the upgrades. Mind you, I was a bit concerned to see a dog loose near the rollers!

I would 'suspect' being a 13 plate it will have a cat. Cant quite see if the lambda is there. Most will fit 45mm throttle bodies, but be aware that if the rest of the engine is standard , then it will give good top end, it can loose low down a bit, so 40mm maybe a better option. Bear in mind , my S2000 engine has a single 70mm inlet for air and not 4 x 45mm and it makes 230 bhp from 70mm. 

Always good to go back to the same rollers for seeing changes as well. Looking forward to the mods to start.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

That looks nice and healthy and a great idea to get a baseline run before the upgrades. Mind you, I was a bit concerned to see a dog loose near the rollers!

Maybe it’s a Dynoberman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lol

The dog spends all day around there and its still got four legs so lets hope it stays that way!